Notices

Question about painkillers

Old 12-09-2004, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about painkillers

Hi my SR family! I recently had surgery and my doctor prescribed percocet for the pain which is really severe right now. I am taking them as prescribed and not abusing them. I use them very sparingly but I was wondering what kind of effect they have on my brain chemisty? I am recovering from depression and I don't want them to mess up my chemicals again. As long as I am using the medication as the doctor prescribed, will my brain still use up my 'happy' chemicals?

Looking forward to your responses.

Hope
Old 12-09-2004, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Does your doctor know about your depression? If he/she knows about it and prescribed the meds anyway, you are probably okay. If they don't know about it, I would ask them. Just make sure you only take the drugs as prescribed, and everything should be okay.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Hope,

I've been prescribed Percocet many times during my recovery for 3 separate work injuries. This last one, I ended up being on Percocet for 4 1/2 months. I did well at taking as prescribed (as needed), I was careful to wait until the exact time, I was careful to make sure I didn't overuse. I was careful to make sure I didn't take them when I didn't need them.

However, the last few weeks, it really started messing with my head.

Biggest thing. Be honest with your doctor. Chances are you won't be on it for long, regardless. Pain medicine does inhibit the pain receptors and thus after getting off them, seems like you're really in more pain than you really are - but that takes time. As far as the depression goes, if the physician that prescribed the Percocet is different than the one you deal with for depression, I would also make the depression doc aware. The biggest thing is being aware. Sounds like you're being careful. Have a talk with your doctor(s) and make sure you are completely honest with them.

Love,
Jen
Old 12-09-2004, 10:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hopefully Healing Up

painkillers

here is a link to a website that has the information for the most common painkillers and their effects:

http://www.recoveryresourcecenter.us/Percocet.html

Basically, if anything the percocet will aid in the lack of depression as it stimulates the pleasure area of the brain. Now propoxy or darvocet would increase your depression. Anyway, happy reading.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Please be careful with the painkillers, you are walking a fine line right now with that and your depression. I was in the same situation you are in now. I had surgury and was also in depression, it made it so much worse. Take the painkillers only when it is extremely necessary! Painkillers, in the longterm, also cause depression. Please be careful, I learned the hard way and it has been the hardest thing I have ever done. That is getting over painkillers and managing depression. God bless!!
-Roxy
Old 06-17-2008, 02:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Please listen to the medical advice and experience(s) of your doctor.

I do not believe an internet forum is a good place to garner information as it may relate to your specific level of depression and your specific medications.

Best wishes toward a speedy recovery.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This thread is from 4 years ago.