Notices

39 Days today

Old 02-16-2021, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

39 Days today

I have been so busy with my new job, house upgrades and winter (ARGGG!) that I didn't realize until today that it's been 39 days for me since I quit. I am over all the physical withdrawal symptoms. Still having a little bit of mental issues (my wife will agree with this LOL!) like mild panic attacks and brain fog. But otherwise doing good. I have noticed that over the past week that little devil has been on my shoulder like in Animal House saying it won't hurt if you have one drink. But I have been strong and not given in. A friend of mine who has been sober for 2 years and that I was telling her about this little devil suggested that I get involved with AA and get a sponsor. But with COVID (I am not afraid of it) I don't know if they still have meetings. Does anyone have any info that they can share with me about AA meetings and sponsors? Have any of you gone to them recently? And if so how were they? Thanks in advance. And thanks for this site and all the support we all give each other.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations David on 39 days of sobriety!

I'm not an AA person, but I do know that AA Zoom meetings have become very common during Covid. And, I would think you could speak to your sponsor on the phone. If you are interested in a specific, local meeting you could probably call them and ask if they are doing in-person meetings yet.

Others may have more and better information.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 39 days sober David. You've broken through the month milestone.

I've heard many people say they like the AA Zoom meetings, as Anna has suggested. Sounds like it might be a good idea if the "little devil" is pestering you. Staying in contact with people who understand and going through similar is really important. Often crucial.

Zoom in.

Old 02-16-2021, 02:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nez

Congrats on the 39 sober days. That is fantastic!
But with COVID (I am not afraid of it) I don't know if they still have meetings.
They do still have in person meetings where I am. I love going to meetings. It is a chance to listen and to talk with other people who know and relate to alcoholism and how they got sober and are staying sober. It also is a chance for me to give back what was so freely given to me. AA saved my life and showed me how to live up to my full potential and live a better life. I go to meetings not because I need to, but because I want to!

Old 02-16-2021, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats David!

Were there any paws that came upon you after the first two weeks?....

Paws has been kicking my butt after the 28 day mark
Old 02-16-2021, 03:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do you mind if I ask what Paws is? Never heard of that.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

PAWS - Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome....,its when the withdrawals from the first 72 hours sober come back to haunt you at the 30 day or beyond mark (actually could happen anytime within 2 years of recovery).

Not to be negative but I’ve read a lot about this... Some don’t even experience it.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 39 days David

D
Old 02-16-2021, 04:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the 39 days.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep it up, David! (And even if you aren't afraid of covid, mask up!)
Old 02-16-2021, 05:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Runswithspoons View Post
Keep it up, David! (And even if you aren't afraid of covid, mask up!)
I do
Old 02-16-2021, 05:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Introvrtd1 View Post
Congrats David!

Were there any paws that came upon you after the first two weeks?....

Paws has been kicking my butt after the 28 day mark
I had some major anxiety last week. Right in the middle of driving to work. But I just used my relaxing breathing exercises that I learned and got through it.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

39 days is fantastic DJB. So much healing has taken place in your body and in your mind. Congrats.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I also posted on this site when I had 39 days. I’m now just over 100 days so I’m no expert by a long shot, but it sounds like we are on a similar timeline.

The first 30 days were not so bad for me as the reasons I quit were fresh in my mind and the physical withdrawal was a painful reminder for me to not drink. After the newness of sobriety wore off I was left with my own thoughts and sober self which I had not had to deal with for a long time. Between 30 and 60 days was probably the most difficult period, and I almost caved multiple times.

Finally around or just after the 60 day mark I had my first “good” day where I was genuinely happy...maybe natural endorphins finally being at a normal level.

By the 90 day mark the good days were starting to become more and more frequent and I felt 80-90% back to my old self before alcohol had become a part of who I was. I now feel clear headed and even keeled.

The key for me was listening to people on SR who had achieved long term sobriety and understanding the negative feelings and cravings will eventually go away as long as you never take that first drink. There are a lot of wise and kind people on this site that I am grateful for.

Some days early on my biggest success for the day was not drinking, and I went to sleep angry that I couldn’t have a drink. But not once did I ever wake up the next day saying...man I wish I drank last night. Similarly I have yet to read a relapse thread with someone saying they were glad they took that first drink after a period of sobriety.

39 days is awesome!! You can do it! One day at a time.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ANM

Hi David,

Congratulations on 39 days! I tried to post a comment with a link to a site for online AA meetings but was unable to because I'm a relative newbie and can't post links yet Here is what I was trying to share and maybe the original poster will see this and can post the link to AA-Intergroup or you can google it:

Someone (somewhere in the many, many threads I have read here) posted a link to online AA meetings. I checked out the site but have not attended any meetings nor am I an AA person (sober 6 weeks as of yesterday and still finding my way in all this) but I bookmarked it just in case