Notices

Going to the core.........how did YOU do it?

Old 12-06-2004, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to the core.........how did YOU do it?

How did you stop drinking and being a victim of alcohol?

I've been abusing for awhile....wine mostly..........but I do want to stop the abuse.

I have to say, I searched the web and there were so many sites that said, "if you stop cold turkey, you might DIE!!". :shock:

I do want to stop, but all of this information made me very scared.

My doc just grins when I tell him I've been inbibing too much. Cut down he says........but I try and once I have a few glasses of wine, I feel compelled to finish the bottle (big bottles-- not the little ones).

Almost ready to just say.........stopping tomorrow..........what will be, will be.

I guess you've all been there, right?

Can you tell your tales of how you quit and kept on with it??? I so need positive of how you just stopped, rather than death threats to quitting and why I should be afraid.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2004, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

EGO~~~~~~~~~~~~~ EDGING GOD OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DID LIKE THE WINE. MOSTLY OUT OF THE SACK .

Waking up in a drunk tank over a labor day wekend over 5 years ago. From what you're putting down here, it sounds like you'd like to stop. If, your drinking is out of control, it's not a I'll just have one drink. My last drunk was a blackout. I have no recollection of it. How long have you drank? It gets worse, never better. For me, I had a problem from the start. I started drinking around the age of 13 or 14. Around 30 years later it came to a halt.
I have no regrets. i no longer inflict pain on someone due to my selfishness. My days are filled with practicing the 12th step. I was able to quit before I lost everything. Alcohol will take everything you love away from you. that's the harsh reality.
Start going to AA meetings. Find you a sponser in the program. Work the 12 steps. Help others get sober. Life is good if you want it to be

chris

FIGHTIN ILLINI #1 IN THE NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2004, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dear bruised, I am no Dr. but based on how much you seem to have been drinking, you are not going to die going cold turkey. I have quit more times than I would like to admit, and it isn't fun, but if you are in trouble you will know in time to get yourself to an ER. Do a google search on withdrawal symptoms. It will tell you about mild to severe. Good luck to you. Stop now while it is still relatively easy. I wish I was as strong as Ama, she is an inspiration. If I don't quit in the next few days I think it may be curtains for me. Stop now.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks to you guys. I wonder if I should just stop or ask a dr. for help? Do they really do anything?

My brother told me he had a friend who admitted to his doc he had an alcohol problem. Evidentally, Dr. was compelled to report his said abuse and his driver's liscence was suspended after that??

I'm concerned about this.....even though I don't drive anymore. Do doc's really report you? It's why I'm concerned about talking to a care giver about my abuse.

?????
Old 12-06-2004, 05:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Alcohol withdrawl can be fatal, depending on how much you drank. It's highly suggested you find a doctor that comes highly recommended and see him first. I've never heard of a doctor reporting you.

I see you around weening yourself up to the courage to quit. We can tell you how we did it, what we did when we did it, and offer all the suggestions to help educate you. The important things is you, what are you willing to do, what lengths are you willing to go through? I promise you it's not as scary as it seems, was my number one excuse. It takes work, determination, and honesty. We all got here when we were supposed to and so did you. Now if your ready, we'll be here along the way!