Notices

Drank too much and had a seizure

Old 11-22-2020, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drank too much and had a seizure

Not alcohol. Water. I had very low sodium levels which resulted in a seizure. This happened before in October. I have to get my water addiction under control.

I'm in the hospital. The good thing about hospital is you appreciate freedom and get to make plans for your future. So tomorrow when I possibly get out, I'm going to get my **** together. I'm going to go for a run, clean my room, trim my beard and hair and start living

I'm going to start having a drinks diary, and only drinking out of a 200ml glass instead of filling a litre bottle and pounding it.

Day 66 today. It takes 66 days to build a habit so hopefully the AV will be quiet moving forward.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're in hospital again.
Bit of a clickbaity headline tho - I could have done without that momentary scare, man.

D
Old 11-22-2020, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry you're in hospital again.
Bit of a clickbaity headline tho - I could have done without that momentary scare, man.

D
Sorry about being clickbaity. Drinking too much seems to be a problem for me even if without alcohol though. I didn't intend on drinking so much but I got agitated and mildly psychotic so I was drinking water to cope. Pretending it was vodka. Not very healthy.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Scared me too, but glad it was just a scare. I will drink more water if you drink less-- deal??
Old 11-22-2020, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
Scared me too, but glad it was just a scare. I will drink more water if you drink less-- deal??

Sounds like a deal. I probably drink enough for five people tho. Don't drink that much.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I am not qualified to say you have this but compulsive water drinking is called psychogenic polydipsia and it is dangerous. Having had a scare hopefully you won't drink too much water in future. Good luck freedomfries.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I pretend water vodka sometimes too. Same thing with V8.

I would not recommend this to anyone. It might cause a trigger.

Prayers.

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
I pretend water vodka sometimes too. Same thing with V8.

I would not recommend this to anyone. It might cause a trigger.

Prayers.

Thanks.
you sure are true!!

Old 11-22-2020, 05:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with saoutchik psychogenic polydipsia. My daughter has schizophrenia,and she had it too. Not implying you have schizophrenia FF. It's dangerous, as you have found to your peril.

She drinks water rationally now.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you get released from the hospital tomorrow. You know what you need to do to take care of yourself.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's strange how the addiction can transfer into other addictions. I drink far more non-alcoholic liquids that I need to, probably around 4 to 6 litres a day - some caffeinated, some not - but I can live with that for the time being. I have not been diagnosed with any sodium issues, I assume they would have come up on my blood tests.

I have read that the majority of deaths attributed to MDMA use are really caused by water toxicity (though, arguably, indirectly by MDMA, as MDMA makes people very thirsty). Yes, you can actually die from drinking too much water in too short a space of time.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The good thing about people in hospital is it makes you appreciate life outside hospital. When I get out of hospital today (hopefully) I'm going to make the best of my life. I'm going to go for that run I've been putting off, do chores around the house, trim my beard, get a haircut, start living.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How much water have you been drinking each day to cause low sodium levels? My auntie once had the same problem as yourself, she was drinking far too much water and ended up in hospital after having a seizure.

People think that drinking lots of water is healthy. It is, to a degree. But drinking far too much water can be bad for you and in some cases, fatal. Obviously for the latter we are talking about drinking copious amounts of water in a short space of time which most people, including yourself, do not. I was going to mention about how some deaths from the drug ecstasy are actually caused by excessive water ingestion rather than the actual drug but sortofhomecomin' has mentioned it already. However the amount of water needed to cause death (water intoxication) is immense. Inbetween those levels and the daily recommended healthy level there can be a range of problems which range from simply urinating more frequently to it being a sign of diabetes to the problem you have had and beyond. My auntie had to have her water intake severely restricted while she was in hospital (strangely while on a restricted water intake regime she suffered from some of the withdrawal symptoms we would normally associate with alcohol withdrawal - sweats, shakes, anxiety etc). Thankfully she recovered but she wasn't dealing with other issues and so when she was discharged she just went back to drinking water in a normal way. I think you had previously posted you have been drinking lots of Pepsi or coca-cola as well?
Old 11-23-2020, 12:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
How much water have you been drinking each day to cause low sodium levels? My auntie once had the same problem as yourself, she was drinking far too much water and ended up in hospital after having a seizure.

People think that drinking lots of water is healthy. It is, to a degree. But drinking far too much water can be bad for you and in some cases, fatal. Obviously for the latter we are talking about drinking copious amounts of water in a short space of time which most people, including yourself, do not. I was going to mention about how some deaths from the drug ecstasy are actually caused by excessive water ingestion rather than the actual drug but sortofhomecomin' has mentioned it already. However the amount of water needed to cause death (water intoxication) is immense. Inbetween those levels and the daily recommended healthy level there can be a range of problems which range from simply urinating more frequently to it being a sign of diabetes to the problem you have had and beyond. My auntie had to have her water intake severely restricted while she was in hospital (strangely while on a restricted water intake regime she suffered from some of the withdrawal symptoms we would normally associate with alcohol withdrawal - sweats, shakes, anxiety etc). Thankfully she recovered but she wasn't dealing with other issues and so when she was discharged she just went back to drinking water in a normal way. I think you had previously posted you have been drinking lots of Pepsi or coca-cola as well?
.I drank around ten litres of water. Normally I drink about five litres between pepsi and water.

I was very agitated on Saturday. Hearing voices etc and I was pounding water to cope with it, around ten litres. Now I'm in hospital they're limiting me to two litres. I'm going to keep that up when I leave
​​​​​​. Fortunately the psychotic symptoms seem to have abated.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The ideal amount of water to drink per day is usually given by nutrionists as being 1 litre for every 20kg of body weight. So someone who is 66kg (which just happens to be my ideal bodyweight though I'm too far above that!), 147 pounds or 10.5 stone would be roughly 3 to 3.5 litres per day. Obviously I can't give medical advice but googling "iis it harmful to drink 10 litres of water a day" brings the usual answers of yes, no and maybe. I probably drink about 5 per day, which seems to be your usual daily amount. Your hospital Doctor knows best so will be the best person to ask for advice. Is the Doctor certain that it is just the amount of water you are drinking that is the cause of your low sodium levels?
Old 11-23-2020, 02:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

They're fairly sure. My sodium levels returned to normal in hospital from drinking a normal amount.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ah, in which case you may just be given the same advice my auntie got which was basically to limit your daily water intake to a certain level.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It looks like I'm not getting out of the hospital today. Darn it.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey FF. Just rest up and keep working on your plan. I know how hard it is to maintain selfcare. It's hard to talk about but I become so immersed in things I end up ignoring proper hygiene. That's not good but I've come a long way since I stopped drinking. Us learning how to be consistent with meeting our own needs is part of building the life we want. It's the work we do in sobriety.

I'm so happy you're still sober.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know it’s tough when you wanted to go home but they must be keeping you in for a reason.
hopefully you’ll go home tomorrow FF

D