Notices

Female Hormones and Sobriety

Old 11-17-2020, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Female Hormones and Sobriety

Sorry, Boys! I've been wanting to post this for a while. I'm 46, 10 months sober and the perimenopause "stuff" has started. As my hormones fluctuate so does my mood....big time. Right now I'm at the "claw your face off" part of the month. Wow, if I never quit drinking when I did I'd be such a mess right now.

I'm just wondering if there's any other women out there who've experienced this and how did you cope? Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks
Old 11-17-2020, 12:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh yes, I can relate. As a last result I went to the doctor and was put on hormone replacement therapy. Some people can't take it, but if you can, I would highly recommend talking to your doctor about it. It helped a ton.

Ps...somedays I still want to claw off peoples faces
Old 11-17-2020, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’m 48, sober a bit over 3 years. I had entered perimenopause before getting sober, and my symptoms improved the longer I abstained. I’ve focused on a healthy diet and exercise over the years, and I think it has helped. Basically, all the strategies to deal with stress help me cope with the inevitable moods and discomfort each month (or every 2-3 weeks, as is more common now).

Good times!
-bora
Old 11-21-2020, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Just spotted this post and need to think but I am going through it to and boy it’s a mind bender!! Will post in the am (uk time) but can say dealing with both is really hard. Keep strong x
Old 11-21-2020, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'll be 33 in a few months so I don't think i'm quite there yet but I want to claw people's faces off multiple times a day. And I have hot flashes. And my once super thick hair is thinning out at the front. Good thing you've been off the poison for a while, you're right i'm sure you would be in an even worse spot.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am 34, so I can't fully relate, but towards the end of my last relapse the alcohol was causing my hormones to be way off and I had emotional and physical issues because of it. One of the less talked about issues with alcohol is how it impacts hormones and reproductive organs. It can contribute to infertility in both genders or cause men to produce more estrogen than they need resulting in breasts forming or hips getting more fat on them. I have been struggling with fertility issues and my doctor said she wouldn't be surprised if I end up getting pregnant within a year or two if I am able to stay sober. I know this doesn't really answer your question, but I just wanted to chime in about what I've learned about alcohol and hormones. There is a connection for sure. Plus when we're sober, we feel things more and in a more honest way. I know I was guilty of ignoring pains and health concerns by getting drunk and forgetting about them. When I am either drunk or hungover, everything else takes a backseat. Sobriety has meant that I have to fully face those things.