Notices

Checking in.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in.

I'm not counting days but my sober date was 22/09/20.

Things are going well, it's amazing how many benefits are apparent really when compared to drinking days, the AV is strong at times, its normally trying to convince me to be "normal". Alcohol's presence in society is a huge problem for me. I feel like sobriety is this huge dirty secret that I have to protect. I wish I could own it and be proud of it.

A close friend of mine nearly died in an operation due to his alcoholism a little while ago and he's just been arrested for drink driving and assault, he's probably going to die if he doesn't change things very soon. Things like this bring the reality of this drug to the surface, it's actually crazy how normalised it all is

I think the hardest thing is dealing with emotions, although it's already getting easier. My withdrawals are over now so the waves are starting to settle. I'm starting to feel the simplicity of sobriey.

Anyhow, just thought I'd check in. Hope everyone is well.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You don’t have to wish to be proud of it. Let it be whatever it is today. And whatever it will become. Nothing needs to be the way you envision it or want it to be. For now, practice acceptance and gratitude. Blessings are on their way. Congrats on the building sobriety!
Old 10-06-2020, 11:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your friend will find his way before it’s too late Flowing. Congrats on your sober time.

D
Old 10-06-2020, 11:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time​​​
Old 10-07-2020, 03:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's hard to find anything on tv that doesn't show someone drinking alcohol. Congratulations!
Old 10-07-2020, 05:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I don't believe the hype. I was tricked at a young age and got addicted.

Being a drinker is a learned behavior.

It is common sense to not ingest a booze, I used to force it down when I was 5. I remember my grandpa's Bacardi Rum used to burn my mouth. I remember thinking...why would someone drink this.

But then addiction occurs and becomes a curtain that hides the truth. The addiction will say anything to get its fix.

We here have pulled back the curtain and see the truth. Real life is not found anywhere near a bottle of neurotoxin.

Thanks.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job continuing your sobriety. I am glad to hear that you are seeing a lot of benefits from it - that is just additional motivation to continue doing it. I totally feel you on the "owning it", and how our society promotes drinking so much that there is a stigma associated with being an alcoholic or sober. I am still trying to own the first one. Be proud of who you are, you are dong awesome!
Old 10-07-2020, 11:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I hope your friend will find his way before it’s too late Flowing. Congrats on your sober time.

D
Thanks Dee.

I met my friend last night and he is a mess. He says he is making today his first day of sobriety. He has a prescription to pick up from the doctors to help with his withdrawal and he's going to re-enroll with a local addiction centre. The legal situation he is in is bad, he could quite well go to jail.

I worry that he is just going through the motions regarding his recovery. I'm not sure he'll commit. I desperately wanted to help, to make things better. You'd have thought the fact that I too am an alcoholic that I could have but I really couldn't seem to find the right words.

I feel guilty that I actually got a positive out of meeting him, it has confirmed that I am doing the right thing. He didn't ask about me or my drinking which is fine, he's in such a bad place.

We drink for very different reasons and we drink in very different ways but the fundamental point is the same. It ruins our lives.

I hope we both never touch the stuff again.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes no words are good enough to dissuade someone from self destruction unfortunately.
But you never know when you might have planted a seed, Flowing

D