Notices

What are your less harmful voces that you still indulge in?

Old 09-23-2020, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are your less harmful voces that you still indulge in?

I vape constantly and often drink as much as 8 litres of diet cola a day. I'd like to quit both but I'm just focused on alcohol for the moment

I think the diet cola will be next. I really drink far too much of the stuff. Vaping I'd like to quit but it's so damn addictive . Also still smoke an occasional cigarette but can take them or leave them when I'm vaping

Late night cookie binges are another problem I need to deal with. Not helping my waistline!

What are your less destructive addictions? Do you want to quit?
Old 09-23-2020, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Of all those you listed, the one I would tackle next is the caffeine. It causes all kinds of problems when over-used, including racing thoughts, speedy brain, anxiety, intrusive thoughts. I would try to get that down to 24 ounces a day of diet cola.

Sugar would be next in line after the caffeine...strictly from a mental health perspective.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Of all those you listed, the one I would tackle next is the caffeine. It causes all kinds of problems when over-used, including racing thoughts, speedy brain, anxiety, intrusive thoughts. I would try to get that down to 24 ounces a day of diet cola.

Sugar would be next in line after the caffeine...strictly from a mental health perspective.
Yeah and I have problems with anxiety. So diet cola is no good for me. I should be drinking chamomile tea instead.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also drink far too much diet soda, particularly Coke Zero. I use it as a substitute for beer. In the short-term, it's a viable alternative. Caffeine/artificial sweetener has never landed me in the ER or jail. I don't smoke cigarettes at all if I am not drinking, strangely, so Caffeine remains my only vice.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I eat too much sugar. I smoked the first 4 and a half years of sobriety - was only going to give myself a year to smoke after I got sober, but quitting smoking was actually harder to quit than drinking was for me. Sugar is also very hard for me to cut down or quit. I've always had a bad sweet tooth. I let it get out of control when I was newly sober and now it's a real struggle.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dairy Queen Blizzard!
Old 09-23-2020, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Something salty followed by something sweet. On a good day that equals a cooked supper followed with banana and cool whip. On a bad day it’s bag of chips and chocolate bar. Eating well takes so much time!

Also agree with biminiblue about caffeine. I’m having a lot of those symptoms when I drink coffee and even tea and decaf coffee makes my anxiety go up. Noticing it more now because I’m sober I guess.

I quit smoking 2 years ago and I’m still on Nicorette . I won’t be messing with that until I have my first year sober Completed.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done with quitting smoking Sober45.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ice cream and sweets and lots of them. When I keep my eating sweets and caffeine under control most of my anxiety goes away. So much of all that mental health stuff is related to what we put in our bodies.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

CoKe Zero, I love the stuff, and probably drink a little too much of it.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I also drink far too much diet soda, particularly Coke Zero. I use it as a substitute for beer. In the short-term, it's a viable alternative. Caffeine/artificial sweetener has never landed me in the ER or jail. I don't smoke cigarettes at all if I am not drinking, strangely, so Caffeine remains my only vice.
Coke Zero is my vice as well!
Old 09-27-2020, 10:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I am addicted to trains. Because of COVID, I am denied access to my addiction. I usually have tickets for an upcoming train trip (I buy them sometimes 11 months out to get the best rooms and fares), but I canceled my October trip because the event was canceled, and don't plan on any travel for the time being. Also, many trains are not running: my closest train is off the schedule because the Canadian border is closed, and all the long-distance trains are going to three-days-a-week operation in October.

I try to satisfy my addiction on train internet forums, but (seriously) the most popular thread there now is about baseball. A few people are traveling by trains and posting on Facebook. Due to COVID and reduced travel demand, most of the cooking and serving staff from the dining cars were laid off. Now, sleeping car passengers are served pre-cooked meals laden with salt, and sometimes passengers must eat in their rooms. If you can't afford a room, the only food you have access to is from the cafe--microwaved burgers and hot dogs.

One replacement I have found is Zoom AA meetings. I go to meetings every day now, and am Zoom host for one and secretary for another. I'm also treasurer for our group, which gives me some math and paperwork exercises a few times a week.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My favorite vice nowadays is M&Ms dark chocolate.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I relapsed on the cigarettes but hopefully only temporary. Alcohol was the more dangerous addiction for me, as it turned out, as it is for most people here. At seven weeks sober I don't beat myself up over too many sweet things but it's something I will look at.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I gave up cigs in November 2008. Not touched one since and have zero desire these days.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I love cupcakes & cakes ... well — always have loved that sweet frosting on cake! That’s my favorite 🧁🍰!!

I stopped drinking sodas decades ago, they are just too sweet 😂😂. I know, that doesn’t make sense. I drink non-flavored carbonated water all day. Ex: Arrowhead Sparkling Plain.

During Covid, I have become addicted to doing a couple 1,000 piece puzzles a week. I love the challenge. I love that my brain is just focused on the work in front of me too. Definitely lowers my stress. 🙂

Pre-Covid I de-stressed going to my favorite Thrift Store once a week. I love bits of history, I enjoy buying that item and then researching it when I get home. Then I sell on eBay. All this started when I found myself with tons of free-time after quitting alcohol. 🥰🥰
Old 09-27-2020, 09:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ate an outrageous amount of cookies and milk last night. Not giving up though. Diet starts today. Monday's a good day to start a new life.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sweets and well.. just anything sweet since I quit, my consumption as been (on occasion) on the outrageous side
Old 09-27-2020, 11:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
I am addicted to trains. Because of COVID, I am denied access to my addiction. I usually have tickets for an upcoming train trip (I buy them sometimes 11 months out to get the best rooms and fares), but I canceled my October trip because the event was canceled, and don't plan on any travel for the time being. Also, many trains are not running: my closest train is off the schedule because the Canadian border is closed, and all the long-distance trains are going to three-days-a-week operation in October.

I try to satisfy my addiction on train internet forums, but (seriously) the most popular thread there now is about baseball. A few people are traveling by trains and posting on Facebook. Due to COVID and reduced travel demand, most of the cooking and serving staff from the dining cars were laid off. Now, sleeping car passengers are served pre-cooked meals laden with salt, and sometimes passengers must eat in their rooms. If you can't afford a room, the only food you have access to is from the cafe--microwaved burgers and hot dogs.

One replacement I have found is Zoom AA meetings. I go to meetings every day now, and am Zoom host for one and secretary for another. I'm also treasurer for our group, which gives me some math and paperwork exercises a few times a week.
Coldfusion, I had to just say I too love trains and traveling on them, I imagine the trains in UK are nothing like the ones in the US but even standing on a platform waiting for a train gives me a remarkable sense of wellbeing
Love. Billy x
Old 09-27-2020, 11:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm quitting all my harmful vices. No more diet soda, no more vaping, no more junk food. I'm going to limit myself to two small coffees a day. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. No more energy drinks.