Notices

cough medicine

Old 12-04-2004, 06:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile cough medicine

hello everyone
i've only read some posts and its already scaring me. glad i found this board. you all ever heard of addiction to cough syrup with codeine?? been taking one bottle for 7 yrs now, last 3 - 2 bottles. recently had many paranoid attacks during the "after high period". trying to give it up completely. wanted to go on a "detox" doctors prescription today but someone wasn't there and had to wait for 2moro. but tonight fearing of another attack, reduce the dosage to one. seems ok tonight, wandering if its the concentration of what 2 write that is calming me. my life is so adapted to the additcion that i can't even function normally. cant even remember how my usual self was. anyways thats a bit bout me. will go check other posts now, very interesting..

Last edited by adelaideian; 12-04-2004 at 06:46 AM. Reason: change icon
Old 12-04-2004, 07:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Good morning!! (It is morning here!) Welcome to SR. I know that codeine can be very addictive. Sounds like you have a good plan--going to a doctor to get help. I would also suggest finding a support group like NA or AA. This is also a wonderful place with lots of supportive people.

Hang in there, and good luck!
Old 12-04-2004, 07:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi AdelaideIan, and welcome.
Here's an excerpt from an article.

DXM is a synthetically produced substance, the methylated dextrorotary analogue of levorphanol, a substance related to codeine. The cough suppressant ability of the opiates act on the cough center located in the medulla oblongata and raises the threshold of the cough reflex. It does not have other opiate effects such as analgesia, sedation, or constipation. DXM is found in over 75 OTC medications.

Recent research is examining DXM as an anti-epileptic, neuroprotector and anti-parkinson agent. However, DXM's antagonism of the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor (NMDA) by way of its immediate metabolite dextrorthan leads to its potential as a substance of abuse when used in greater than recommended dosages. Dextrorthan's effect can last 3 - 6 hours and cause a PCP intoxication - like syndrome. Thus, DXM has been classified as an dissociative agent, much like PCP and Ketamine. With DXM intoxication, one can see hyperexcitability, lethargy, ataxia, slurred speech, hypertension, elevated heart rate, nystagmus and hallucinations. It is also thought that DXM can cause the release of serotonin. If used with an antidepressant of the SSRI class (Prozac, Paxil, etc.), it can cause a potentially fatal condition know as the Serotonin Excess Syndrome.

http://www.oasas.state.ny.us/AdMed/drugs/dmx.htm

You say your life is adapted to your addiction.
Clearly a problem yes?
No matter the substance, if it's making your life unmanageable, you need to address it.
Most of us need help to do that, in the form of counseling and/or recovery programs.
Your addiction is as serious as anyone's.
And you can overcome it.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No expectations!

NA Australia
How's our new Aussie friend today? Did you get to the doctor? I hope so. If you're detoxing from CODEINE, that's pretty much just like any other opiate. That's what you were using, right? I'm what you might call a "chemist," a pharmacist, AND a recovering opiate addict, so if you have any questions and can't get to the doctor, I may be able to help you. Please feel free to ask. And in the meantime, you may want to check out Narcotics Anonymous. It helps me! I wish you the best in your recovery.
Peace, love, and hugs,
Eddie
Old 12-06-2004, 10:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Here in Australia there has been a new medication released (or at least it will be released) for help with addiction to opitates. Its called Subutex and Suboxone , seeing as its only new here not alot of doctors dont know about it. It has been in America for a fair few years now , and it sounds like it has helped alot of people to get completely clean.
I dont want to recomend it because I am only learning about it myself, but I think it could be worth talking to your doctor about it to see if they think it would suit your situation.

If you want to do a web search on it the proper chemical name for it is Buprenorphine.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
blu

I was a nurse who for 20 years was hooked on my own rx of codine. I didn't get clean until I was cought stealing drugs I was to distroy. Did a year in the state pen for that. I have used street drugs at times , I am not coping well with my husbond away in the army in Iraq and I already am sure him comming home next month will be my new excuse if I still use. For myself it was the codine that was the hardest to kick but it can be done.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Someone wrote this to me, when I was scared like you.

Letting go is like a very hard breakup but we do heal. Take back your life. You deserve the special miracles that life has to offer you.

And please read the post "A MUST READ" If that man can do it, anyone can.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
boy

well u are not alone.

hi i am new here.but hooked since 19. now already 6 yrs. Now i want to quit. Need help on stratagies. if u went trough ,atleast better than me todate. pls help me. Chilling in my spine and going toilet dozen times aday is enough reason to die???
Old 09-10-2005, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi all,

To both newcomers - a grand welcome to SR!

This site has been a valueable resource in my recovery jouney. I am an opiate addict who has been on suboone for 5 months. I would suggest checking out the Substance Abuse fourm for more info on opiate wds, suboxone and general recovery information. Regardless of which path you choose, the road to recovery is a bumby one & the great people here on this site really underdstand and can provide you with tons of insight, experience and hope!

SS
Old 09-10-2005, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

wow, all the Aussies appearing here, thats great. Hi Adeliadeian, welcome to SR, I am in Melbourne, so no problem with Time Zones there. There is loads of great support and info here as you are finding out

nogard
Old 09-11-2005, 01:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No expectations!

WELCOME to SR, boy!!! We're glad you're here!! Don't know where you are, but I bet you could find Narcotics Anonymous in the phone book. Why not give them a call and check out a meeting or two? And as far as the physical withdrawal stuff, I would see a doctor. Hope this helps!! You are not alone either!

Love and hugs,
Eddie