Notices

Made it thru my 1st day FINALLY!

Old 08-30-2020, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it thru my 1st day FINALLY!

After months of talking about it and failing, I made it thru my 1st day. Holy night sweats! Feeling dehydrated and have a headache, but something so small feels like a win. Although, my inner voice says you went 24 hours, you've now healed 20 years of damage...if only it were that easy. Gonna focus on day 2 and drinking lots of water, yard work, and an evening walk. I can't wait to have more days behind me.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's great news. The first few days are the hardest, get through those and you'll be off and running.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The first week or so can be difficult, very up and down, but it will get better the more sober time you have.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you. Stay focused on getting through each day.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Backtogood!

D
Old 08-30-2020, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’d say the first day is so hard because it’s so unnatural to not drink after so long. Saying that, it’s not the hardest (sorry, BTG ☹️). That comes after a few days when the body gets annoyed at you for not drinking and sends cravings like never before. You need to be ready. If you normally drink in a certain place such as in front of the TV, don’t watch TV. Have no booze in the house. Try something like chocolate or ice cream. I drank Red Bull for a few days, disgusting and so unhealthy but it got me through.

Good effort so far 👍
Old 08-30-2020, 02:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It is a huge win - not small at all. So proud of you. Things are going to get so much better.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

BTG - this is exactly how every person who succeeds starts... one day at a time.

Congratulations - please stay in touch!
Old 08-30-2020, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank's everyone for the kind words. I guess we all have to start somewhere.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on one full day without poisoning yourself, backtogood! That's huge.

Just so you're aware, the first week or so can be really tough. For me the third day is always the toughest. Drink plenty of water. Go for walks. Take a nap when you need it. See a doctor if you feel really bad. Alcohol withdrawal can be medically dangerous so don't be ashamed to get medical help if things get rough.

Great start, though. It gets better and better as days turn into weeks and weeks turn into months. You start to feel alive again.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Backtogood View Post
After months of talking about it and failing, I made it thru my 1st day. Holy night sweats! Feeling dehydrated and have a headache, but something so small feels like a win. Although, my inner voice says you went 24 hours, you've now healed 20 years of damage...if only it were that easy. Gonna focus on day 2 and drinking lots of water, yard work, and an evening walk. I can't wait to have more days behind me.
It's what you need to do.

Talk to us, where are you walking tomorrow? How far is it?
Old 08-30-2020, 05:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on making it through your first day! Keep up the good work by staying hydrated and checking into SR. You will provide such inspiration to others! You’ve already provided inspiration to me to go for a day one tomorrow. Congrats! Keep it up!
Old 08-30-2020, 05:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Gosh, I guess this usually when I start drinking, cause I suddenly just felt emotional and teary eyed! I mean I've had the headache and queasiness, and the no appetite, but the emotional aspect is new to me. My AV is all but shouting at me that one or two would ease all of these symptoms...
Old 08-30-2020, 07:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Backtogood View Post
Gosh, I guess this usually when I start drinking, cause I suddenly just felt emotional and teary eyed! I mean I've had the headache and queasiness, and the no appetite, but the emotional aspect is new to me. My AV is all but shouting at me that one or two would ease all of these symptoms...
Hi,

It can be challenging to keep on keeping on in the face of uncomfortable feelings. I just experienced that myself in the grocery store when they didn't have something I really really really really really really really wanted. I felt SUPER freakin' disappointed - nearly affronted, that this store would have the NERVE to not have my item.

Check this out ~ I'm still sober, I lived, I can buy it somewhere else - and save some $ to boot. Good LORD that was weird though!! I separate from my AV when that happens (that was a strong one) and just observe it. That feeling of disappointment was really uncomfortable, but it was still only a feeling. Feelings don't dictate my behavior anymore...
Old 08-30-2020, 07:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LumenandNyx View Post
Hi,

It can be challenging to keep on keeping on in the face of uncomfortable feelings. I just experienced that myself in the grocery store when they didn't have something I really really really really really really really wanted. I felt SUPER freakin' disappointed - nearly affronted, that this store would have the NERVE to not have my item.

Check this out ~ I'm still sober, I lived, I can buy it somewhere else - and save some $ to boot. Good LORD that was weird though!! I separate from my AV when that happens (that was a strong one) and just observe it. That feeling of disappointment was really uncomfortable, but it was still only a feeling. Feelings don't dictate my behavior anymore...
thanks for that, at least I'm totally crazy. I'm only on day two, but one minute I'm doing an art project with my son and the next i just wanted to cry. I will say it's been a rough week with my husband and I, but still it was so sudden and out of nowhere! I know I'm heading in the only direction i have left to go...up!
Old 08-30-2020, 07:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That's awesome Backtogood. I'm at day 37 and this time what helped me was really just focusing on one day at a time. Just focus on today. It really helped me. If I look ahead, or plan ahead, it stresses me out. So I just focus on today and what I want to do and when I wake up sober in the morning I know I want to continue that feeling for that day.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on getting through your first day! If you can do it for one day you can do it for two So come on tomorrow, you got this. Just take it one day at a time and find ways to replace the addiction. I ate a lot and found sugary drinks to be a lifesaver. Remember, with sobriety comes clarity so no matter what the AV says, time will heal.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Everyone starts with day 1. It is a big deal. Well done.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

BTG, how are we doing today? Whatever the situation SR is here for you.