Notices

Scared and Lost

Old 12-03-2004, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cindy

Red face Scared and Lost

I am new to this whole 12 step program. I was told about this sight by a drug counselor I am currently seeing. As part of my recovery process she has advised me to attend any 12 step meetings...I am experiencing a great hardship in attending them in person. I have a very difficult time speaking in public, therefore she has suggested this web sight. Any help and or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cindy
Old 12-03-2004, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Cindy and welcome; My name is Diana and I am a recovering alcoholic/addict.
Your councillor was smart to direct you here. You will find a great support system here.

We look forward to your posts of anything you feel concerned about or any questions you may have.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you
Love Diana
Old 12-03-2004, 08:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ama

Dear Cindy,

Great to hear from you!!!! Well - I am in the same boat. This very night I went to a meeting - a lovely peaceful place. I determined to share because I find it so very very difficult too. But I have been posting here on SR for a few weeks and your councellor is right I think because I have been writing in posts those things I find hard to say. It has helped so very much and of course the gifts of friendship and understanding on this site has truely warmed my heart!

So - back to tonights meeting. Well I did share - and opened by saying that I didnt know what to say but that I knew I had to speak as that in itself was working on my Acceptance for my disease. I rambled all over the place but found that talking out loud was very calming after a minute or so. After the meeting I got hugs etc and I feel really good tonight after it I must say. In my case the resistance to share has been part of my resistance to recovery you see and true Acceptance!

So I have another day sober - a day at a time - and for that I am so grateful. The Steps are also resisted by the addiction in us because they protect us from it and it wants to possess and destroy us. For me today it is that simple......I wish you well on your road to recovery - all of us well....

Luvs Ama
Old 12-04-2004, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Cindy,
Apparently, you have a desire to stay clean, whether it be alcohol / drugs, whatever. Myself, I AM an alcoholic. I have been going to meetings for a long time. I felt the same as you. I didn't want to go to a meeting. I certainly didn't want to go in and people to see me. I was ashamed, embarrassed, etc. I had to go.

It sounds like you've never been to a meeting - I'm assuming...there are generally 2 types of meetings: open and closed. Open - is where one person stands up and gives their story; experience, strength and hope while everyone listens. Closed - is where if there are a lot of people, may break into groups, to have tables, where one person chairs or moderats the table and everyone is free to speak, one at a time. Maybe to get started, go to some open leads. Don't forget to go to those closed meetings though too, that's where the meat and potatoes are!!!

Good luck and God bless,
Jen
Old 12-04-2004, 12:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Hi Cindy and welcome to the meeting that never ends.

I suspect all of us had a hard time attending meetings at first. But that is part of the magic of A.A. and N.A.! Everybody at a meeting had to attend their first meeting at one point and they all know how you are feeling. There will be no pressure on you to speak, you are not expected to know any of the answers because there are no tests, and you don't even have to stand and give your first name if you choose not to because
The ONLY requirement for membership is a desire to stop using.
There are no hidden fees or obligations, BUT(<--- big but) it can make all the difference in the world in your recovery if you want it, and you listen, and you let the experience, strength and hope of others do for you what you could not do by yourself.

One Love, One Heart, Jah Bless