Notices

Suboxone Taper

Old 08-16-2020, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Joe

Suboxone Taper

My name is Joe and I’m in recovery for opiate abuse. I am currently on 8mgs a day of suboxone. My husband and I have begun our taper. We are both excited and nervous for what this journey will hold for us! So far after a 6 month or so relapse we have gotten our lives back on track.

We started the first step of our taper today 8/16/20. We both took 6 mg instead of normal 8. Since suboxone has such a long half life so far I don’t notice a change!! I am hoping tomorrow will be the same, but we shall see.

I wanted a safe place I could post my progress and possibly get a few tips along the way!! The taper plan is 2 mg every other month until I reach 2 mg then go down by 1/2 mg a month and keep decreasing until I no longer need it.

I appreciate any tips or comments!! I will post ever couple of days with progress and how I am feeling. I am also doing a person video diary that I may post on social media once I complete my taper and am no longer taking any suboxone!!!
Old 08-16-2020, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Hi! I'm so happy for you both!

I don't have experience with that, I just wanted to say Hi! There is a lot of support here!
Old 08-16-2020, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome to SR Joe

D
Old 08-16-2020, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome,

Im a recovering opiate addict. Today I have 94 days off opiates. As far as for tapering it's something I struggled with. Tapering will help with acute withdrawal but mostly prolong it due to the half life. I would say eat healthy, workout, get some much needed rest. Keep active in recovery.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I hope this taper goes well for you. And, I'm glad you want to post your progress.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stickyone View Post
Welcome,

Im a recovering opiate addict. Today I have 94 days off opiates. As far as for tapering it's something I struggled with. Tapering will help with acute withdrawal but mostly prolong it due to the half life. I would say eat healthy, workout, get some much needed rest. Keep active in recovery.
Congratulations on 94 days off opiates...From what I have seen in my family it seems that drugs are much harder to quit than alcohol...and i am the alcoholic who has been struggling to quit alcohol for the past 6 years and it is damn hard...But, there are so many more people in my area that CANT even go 5 days without drugs...and they are dropping like flies of early deaths...So 94 days is huge...I hope you will be ok.

For the original poster it is good you have your husband to do this with you....support each other...I really hope whatever the plan it works for you both...because being addicted is a hard way to live..and I would assume especially harder with drugs...on many fronts.
The best to both of you.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Joe I hope everything is going well with your taper, stay strong brother and keep your chin up. It will get better. And thank you missy for the support, yes I've lost a few friends from opiate addiction and the deaths in the world are only climbing. I've been pushing through, I have arthritis pretty much in my entire body, that's why I was on prescription medication for so long. Everyday I deal with pain everyday butlike I said the pain is minor compared to the pain of my children and family seeing me so weak and lost in my addiction. So today is day 95 and the new chapter continue.