Notices

What percentage of people relapse?

Old 07-06-2020, 03:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It’s a rhetorical question, but let’s say over a timescale of five to ten years.

When I sobered up and realised I’d be staying sober forever, fingers crossed, I thought I’d try and become an addiction counsellor. I’d had to see a counsellor once to be prescribed Campral, and I have to say I could’ve done a far better job. My local addiction agency would be interested. They require a minimum of two years’ free of whichever addiction, which I’m due to reach in six months’ time.

My best friend is a music teacher. He’s brilliant, but he reasons that his adult students are never going to be any good as, in his words, you’ve either got it or you haven’t. I’m starting to think the same with addiction. No one told me to stop. No one convinced or counselled me. It was 100% down to me.

I’m not convinced a counsellor can have much of an effect on someone who’s dependent on alcohol. If anything, alcoholism is over analysed in my opinion. If you stop drinking, your body gets used to the new normal (I like this phrase) eventually, and you’re cured. Well, you’re never cured of alcoholism, but you’re in remission. I think if I were a counsellor, I’d quickly lose patience with relapsers and the excuses.

So using the criteria of not relapsing within 5 to 10 years, I really wonder what success rate a counsellor can have.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It was 100% down to me.
This is me. It didn't matter who or what I was told or what I lost. I had to want to stop more then to continue. So far so good but I have to keep my eyes open and on the prize, sobriety.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Riffing on the music theme I’m not a natural musician like one of my mates who can coax a tune from anything - but.I’ve worked hard at it, I’ve developed the skill and to most people’s ears both my mate and I are good musicians.

I think it’s the same for recovery. It’s attainable for anyone...certainly anyone who can login here.
Some of us may have to work a little harder than others, Some of us may need some external input, but the rewards are tremendous.

the only statistic I really know anything about is that I, a former all day every day drinker, have been 100% sober since 2007. If I can do it anyone can

D

Old 07-06-2020, 03:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

If you can make it 5 years your odds of achieving long-term sobriety go up quite a lot. Been told this by numerous therapists and doctors.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I remember being in the hospital years and years ago...about 15 years ago the beginning of my 8 years of sobriety....in 2005.
And it was a "top" hospital because I had a really good job and really good coverage....And the "Dr"...(highly respected..very interesting Dr)….told the room that only 75% of the people would leave and continue on with sobriety for any length of time....those odds were discouraging and scary as we all looked around at each other knowing many were not going to recover....

I agree that it comes down to the person and the personal toll alcohol takes on that person.

My belief is no amount of talk from anyone a Dr. or counselor, friends or family can encourage a person or make a person become sober.
However, there could be a little "seed" planted with all these conversations we have in forums and in Drs and counselors offices that stick with a person and help them during their quest of sobriety....It can be the smallest thing said or written that could help someone....which is why I never give up reading and listening....But, if you know you are going to get frustrated with relapses and excuses than clearly being a counselor for addiction is probably not a good "fit"...as my good Dr. pointed out...75% of the people you would try to help are not going to be able to "get it" and it is not because of something you did or didn't do....its because that is the way this condition works .
Old 07-06-2020, 05:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

100% of those who become complacent, thinking that after a long stretch of sobriety, "it will be different this time."
Old 07-06-2020, 05:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post

100% of those who become complacent, thinking that after a long stretch of sobriety, "it will be different this time."
And that’s the saddest point. Too many ex-drinkers believe they can return to drinking and do so moderately. I know I can never do this again. I wish that message were clearer.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

a counsellor doesn't "fix" a persons addiction. A good counsellor can guide a persons thinking and provide insight. It's about sharing knowledge. The effectiveness will depend on the counsellor's competence and the client's receptivity.

My father in-law was a raging alcoholic from his teens to age 65. Morning to night everyday. My husband grew up on welfare because of it. But my father in-law who is 75 now is celebrating 10 years sober.

We are all still amazed. He went to see a psychiatrist and never drank again after the first session. The doctor helped him gain the insight he needed to rise above his addiction.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom is enough for me.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

I've always struggled with the whole there is no finish line, thing.

I need to always remember that it's really just a new way of life.

And then come the expectations... Expectations that need to be kept in check and patience practiced. That was one of the hardest things during my last real go-around. I'm impulsive as they come and I don't do well with patience. I was actually doing the best I've ever done in years and my sponsor and family told me that, but I just couldn't see it. I just saw all disappointments I had and stress of things not turning around fast enough for me on my time.