Notices

30 Days today-Thank You!!!

Old 01-31-2020, 04:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 Days today-Thank You!!!

Coming here and reading/posting has made all the difference. I was in such a bad place this time last month. I honestly don't think I would have made it this far without SR.

Special thanks to Jr67 for checking and posting on my original thread every day.

Much gratitude to all!
Old 01-31-2020, 04:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Sober45

D
Old 01-31-2020, 04:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Old 01-31-2020, 05:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
Coming here and reading/posting has made all the difference. I was in such a bad place this time last month. I honestly don't think I would have made it this far without SR.

Special thanks to Jr67 for checking and posting on my original thread every day.

Much gratitude to all!
The feelings, my dear Sober45, as you know, are mutual as we mutually celebrate this 30th of our sober days. Mutual between the two of us, and mutual to all of SobeRlandia. I, like S45, doubt I would be at Day 30 without you all. And I'm more than sure that I wouldn't have extended my Dry and Pot-Free January into Dry and Pot-Free February stahtin' tomahrow.

And Sobes, don't forget, after we soon hurdle over and hurtle past Day 53, it's a glide down to finish our first sober century. One hundred days of our mutual sobriety on April 10, 2020.

One day, one mile, one breath at a time.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job on 30 days!

Now, make it 31.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on the month sober!
Old 01-31-2020, 06:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile

That is awesome. Well done!!
Old 01-31-2020, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days sober - this is a big milestone on your pathway to continued sobriety! Keep checking in and sharing and learning. SR has been a huge part of my recovery plan.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Sober45.

How goes your (our) Day 31? I found a good grow light that will fit under the cupboard over the plants. But what with other running around, literal and figurative, at this hour installation under the counter is going to have to wait.

Looking forward to the short-term and long-term results, in the kitchen garden project, as in the sobriety project, as in life -- life of the gardener, life of the rosemary, and, go for it, life of the soul.

Just add a little water and allow in the light.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Meanwhile back in SobeRlandia, back on your and my Saturday evening, how goes every little and big thing?

Not least, how was your dinner date chez Mom? That was Friday evening, right? What was served? How did it go down?

I picked up the David Burn book today, or is it Burns? I had to go back to the bookstore after yesterday to pick up another copy of the Emily Dickinson book (see my post in another thread if interested) that I got yesterday, because once I started browsing through it this morning it was screaming to be sent to a certain Hoosier I know, and I did not want to part with the one I had, so I picked up another today.

Plus they gift-wrap at that store, so now all I need to do, P1 be dashed, is get myself to the post office on Monday and send it on its way. You like gardening, S45, I have a feeling you would love this book. It is a delight to behold. Reading it ain't so bad either, though I haven't actually gotten to that part yet, lol, except for the aforementioned browse.

My unread book stack teeters higher, but with the influx of free time and energy and clarity of mind that I have been experiencing these 31 days, despite awkward sleep patterns and my fruitful hours here in SobeRlandia, I am not daunted by the growing pile, but inspired.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Quiz: To what U.S. state will jr be mailing the Emily Dickinson book?
Old 02-01-2020, 10:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations to both of you, well done! :o)
Old 02-02-2020, 04:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congraulations!
Old 02-02-2020, 05:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Ravel and Sammy1980, if I may presume to say so on Sober45's thread.

Ravel, I see you've added a tabby (is it a tabby?) to your photo lineup. I'm still tryna figure out the progression, but luv the pix. Are they yours?
Old 02-02-2020, 05:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

JR, the admins moved the Dickinson-quiz to the café, I think you'll have missed that, check it out (so far there's just a Jerry, no JR. Plus the answers concerning the photos ).

The fellow is a lynx cub, btw., inimitably confident creatures!

And again kudos to Sober45 & you, one month is a great milestone!
Old 02-02-2020, 06:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That is great news Sober45!!! You are sober a MONTH!!!! That is amazing.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the heads up, Ravel.

Here goes jr off to see the cafe.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 32! Supper went great, no issues. I think mom sensed something because it didn’t look like she had a drink either. I felt awesome on the drive home.

so nice to see you picked up the book Jr, hope it helps in some way.

Focusing on cooking healthy food today...my appetite is through the roof. Got to make up for that batch of “healthy” cookies daughter and I devoured yesterday. Honestly if I could just eat junk all day quitting alcohol would be a breeze I think.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

👍👍
Old 02-02-2020, 09:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
Day 32! Supper went great, no issues. I think mom sensed something because it didn’t look like she had a drink either. I felt awesome on the drive home.

so nice to see you picked up the book Jr, hope it helps in some way.

Focusing on cooking healthy food today...my appetite is through the roof. Got to make up for that batch of “healthy” cookies daughter and I devoured yesterday. Honestly if I could just eat junk all day quitting alcohol would be a breeze I think.
Glad to hear it re your dinner, Sober45. Great outcome after all that nervous anticipation. That doesn't mean one shouldn't prepare for worst possible eventualities at some level, but then when, thankfully, "nothing happens", one may wonder, What was that all about? [or] Well, I dodged a bullet that time, but I'm going to keep my own powder dry, because:

You never know,
Ya know?
Yeah, I know.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Re the David Burns book, The Feeling Good Handbook: I've not yet begun to read, but here it is on my coffee table in front of me. Let me flip randomly to a page.

Oh, Looksee, Chapter 9, "Why People Procrastinate."

OK, the book is already worth the price of admission.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm bypassing consultation of the google for the moment, but I'm vaguely recalling that Burns is generally credited with popularizing and spreading the use of CBT, no? (CBT = cognitive behavioral therapy).

I've been exposed to its (CBT's) precepts for some years, though I have not engaged in a committed course of following its recommended exercises, routines, and personal regimes. Of course I don't know what those are in any detail, either. And now the book is here on my coffee table (alongside the fresh copies of two of Jon Kabat-Zinn's books that I also picked up yesterday because I had given my former copies to a friend in more critical need a couple of years back; she has told me they have helped her btw). The JKZ books, btw, are FCL (Full Capacity Living), and Coming To Your Senses, which I read I don't know 10 years ago? As I recall it is focused on literally coming to your senses, as in bringing your attention to that which you see, hear, smell, taste, touch, in a "simple" yet profound way. Just like another of his books (Wherever You Go, There You Are) the title to Coming To Your Senses if you really "get" it, almost obviates the need for bothering to read what's between the covers.

What a time-saving technique!

I am glad to have Zinn's two books back on my shelves, as I like to occasionally reread portions and reinforce his messages. (I also keep that Brantley book that I mentioned handy, and I was exaggerating, it really was not dusty from non-use.) Of course the most important message about mindfulness meditation is not to read all (thousands of pages) about it, but to do it. The meditation part, that is, whether on the meditation cushion (what's the word for that again?), on the subway, or on the beach or bayou, mountaintop or supermarket cue. Breathe in, pay attention, breathe out, pay the cashier. Don't forget your coupons.

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

And finally, for now, cooking. What a kawinkidink. I just posted a recipe for a healthy dish over in the Weekender. Got lentils? You're good to go.

Happy Sunday. I'm rushing to a quick gym workout then to Sunday brunch, where my dryness will be noted and perhaps dissected. I am duly prepared.

Some workiwork after that (which would be unfeasible after a brunch in my pre-sober days), and if time allows I will see about affixing my new grow light under the counter, and starting my kitchen herb garden.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ever the editor, jr67 corrects his last entry above:

FCL = Full Catastrophe Living, not Capacity.

Though, come to think of it, that is one of its goals.