Notices

164 Days Today- And Almost Threw It Away

Old 01-14-2020, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RPM

164 Days Today- And Almost Threw It Away

I came so close to rationalizing a relapse. I had a weekend golf trip planned with my friends, away from my wife and children. I’ve been coasting for over five months but for the week leading up to the trip all I could think about was “I’ll be away from my family they won’t see me drunk, I can have a good time with the guys for a couple days and nobody is impacted, why not make an exception?” Then that got me thinking “well if I’m going to plan a relapse a week from now why not plan a couple happy hours this week with some friends I haven’t gone out with for a while?”

I literally had to talk out loud to myself that just because my family won’t see me drunk doesn’t mean my actions don’t have consequences for them. A DUI in a different state would have consequences, the impact on my health from drinking a fifth a day on the trip could have consequences. The coming home having no sober time under my belt and rationalizing a couple more weeks or months before I stop again would have consequences.
I’ve always viewed “one day at a time” as a useless cliche until now. Once I realized I didn’t have to make a decision a week out before my trip whether I would drink or not on the trip but instead just made the decision not to drink NOW made it so easy. Then I made that same decision each day on the trip.
And BTW - I had a really fun, sober trip!
Old 01-14-2020, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
under new management

Old 01-14-2020, 09:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 01-14-2020, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Brilliant! I live alone and I could drink whenever I want to with nobody knowing (at first) but it's just not the point. I'm not drinking for loads of other reasons apart from other people knowing. Glad you had a great trip!
Old 01-14-2020, 11:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great going. Way to think things through to the end and the possible consequences.
I'm glad your trip went well.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love this. I’m only on day 13 and seeing how you talked yourself down and still enjoyed the trip is awesome. Thank you.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this experience and others can learn from it. For me, the impprtant insight is that drinking likely wouldnt be contained to a single time but probably could drag on for months. Its better to just not start.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice work. Good for you.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you worked through that
Old 01-15-2020, 08:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know this may seem mad, or at the very least unconventional, but I treat my alcoholic voice (AV) as a demonic spirit. My alcoholic years have been hellish - hangovers, anxiety, shame, guilt, self-recrimination, health issues, financial woes, the loss of friends, etc are all the result of alcoholism.

The AV is like an alluring temptress, a Siren, trying to lead us down the road to perdition with promises of no-strings-attached pleasure. It's evil. Pure evil.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done, seriously fella. We justify to ourselves endlessly why another drink would be a fantastic idea. We only argue back when we know it's our own salvation that's in the balance, nobody else's.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Old 01-15-2020, 08:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What a nice feeling it Is to be able to play the tape forward anD have the awareness to realize that it’s not us doing the thinking, it’s our disease!
So proud and happy for you!!!