Notices

I did it, and am I relieved.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I did it, and am I relieved.

I got an appointment with a psychologist/therepist (forgive me if I don't know their official title.) Next week I will be seeing a male who is listed as a psychologist on the website. This should be interesting. But I feel good about taking action.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome!
Old 01-02-2020, 09:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done!
Old 01-02-2020, 09:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That is a good/big step Jeff. I remember the trepidation about what i might experience on the first visit. I hope you are able to have a good conversation and leave with at least something to work with - even if it's just a second appointment.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
That is a good/big step Jeff. I remember the trepidation about what i might experience on the first visit. I hope you are able to have a good conversation and leave with at least something to work with - even if it's just a second appointment.

Oh I'm nervous as heck. When the person answered the phone I said "I've never made a phone call like this in my life so please bare with me", and we went from there.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jeff, I'm so happy to read this. Taking action of any kind is great, but making the decision to talk to a therapist is an excellent idea. I'm not surprised that you're a bit nervous, but I have a feeling it will go well for you.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Oh I'm nervous as heck. When the person answered the phone I said "I've never made a phone call like this in my life so please bare with me", and we went from there.
I did the same thing - i remember fumbling through the words and almost being embarrassed to make the appointment. I was literally shaking when I dialed the number.

In hindsight it seems silly as I've learned so much about myself, but the fear is a natural reaction. It's outside your normal routine and something new - the fight-or-flight instinct kicks in, which it should.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I know that's how I felt the first time I got help!! Really proud of you. I also know I felt like I had so much and nothing to say and worried about that first appointment. A good therapist will be familiar with that and I hope it is a good experience for you. Let us know.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bravo for taking the step to seek out extra support, Thomas!

Without alcohol to medicate and numb myself out with, I am finding there are some past issues wounds that have been holding me back, and have been for many years.

Your post is a gentle reminder to me to make the commitment to seek out that help just as you have.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That’s great Jeff.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done Thomas. I call the psychologist I see my 'professional friend'.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great step forward Thomas.

Psychologists are fully aware of how nervous we can be. All of us are. Shikes, were talking about our 'insides' now.

Good luck Thomas.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Good for you.

The first step is the hardest one. Now relax and bear in mind that this is a relationship you are forming for your benefit. It's important that you 'click.' Hopefully you do!

But if for some reason you don't after a couple of sessions, then you try someone else. It took me a few tries, but the guy I work with now is perfect for me.

O
Old 01-02-2020, 01:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to read this Jeff.

D
Old 01-02-2020, 03:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My posts have been pretty heavy lately so allow me to lighten the mood a little. My golden retriever who is in the picture is a saint. Best dog I've ever had and smart as a whip. I had a bagel with cream cheese on my desk and went to the bathroom. I was in there for a bit and when I came out my bagel was gone. Poor guy felt so guilty he has not looked me in the eye the whole day. He's in serious distress but could not help himself. Makes me laugh.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

He must've needed the bagel more than you did! Glad to see you made the call, Jeff. I know it's not easy to ask for help but it will be great for you and the ones you love.