Notices

Failed- Day 1

Old 12-23-2019, 10:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
herby

Failed- Day 1

Failed and feeling very disappointed. I got to 3 weeks. It's so difficult cos my husband has started to bring loads of booze into the house. I'll just have to keep trying to be strong.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't want you to falter, Herby but I did kinda wince when you said you'd been to a bar and everything was fine...

I can't count the number of times I navigated a tricky situation...and then drank right afterwards.

Our addiction is relentless and alcohol is everywhere - we can all stay sober but it's hard work sometimes. Don't underestimate the task...Lean on us and build upon the plan you had this time make a bulletproof plan this time
Old 12-23-2019, 10:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know how disappointed I felt whenever I relapsed. And there were a lot.
Three weeks is great. That's something no one can take away from you and you should be proud of.
I'd find it difficult in your situation, too.
Maybe you can get your husband on your side so he'll help you quit rather than make it harder?

Best to you. It took me many tries to quit, so don't give up.
Today is a new day.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The early days can be so confusing and emotional. Don't let this discourage you. Let's learn from it and move on.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
herby

Thanks I'll stay strong

Thanks everyone I am proud I managed 3 weeks. From now on any booze in the house is going down the sink. If truth be known I need a new husband who doesn't drink. X
Old 12-24-2019, 02:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I need a new husband who doesn't drink. Really?

Sorry, but that doesn't sound right.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I was lucky in a way because I had hellish anxiety that could only be quelled otc by booze.

I knew in my heart and right brain that booze was the issue, but emotional damage from decades of drinking was strong. Rational thought battled emotional reasons to have a few.

It was an impossible balancing act that was leading to mental insanity and physical sickness.

I was a mine field of emotion capable of lashing out at anyone, my sleep pattern was horrid, I had a terrible immune system, no stamina, and I am sure I was pre diabetic.

Quitting drinking to cure just one of these things would be worth it, but quitting drinking cured all of these.

I went out the other night and some strangers were just looking at me like they were seeing a rock star.

Some people just stop and stare in a good way. Mouth open.

I didn't expect this when I quit. 55 year old men are usually invisible. I have excepted this so any positive attention is fine.

My kid told me last night I look "buffed." That means amazing in my book.

I work out moderately 4 to 7 days a week depending on how I feel.

I would be a greasy, tired, sick old man if i didn't quit 4 years ago.

It was hell on earth, off and on, for about 2 years. But, my ptsd from quitting cold Turkey and drug free has kept me from relapsing so far.

As I continue to heal, the av beckons.

Thanks.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

3 weeks was great. You are back and ready to start again.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is a really tough situation Herby. You certainly need a complex and flexible plan to stay sober in your situation. Being honest, I couldn't stay sober in your situation. I am living in Day 34 and there is no way I could have booze in the house. I hope you at least attempt to address the situation with your spouse. But remember, we eventually have to live sober in a world in which alcohol is everywhere. A 5 minute drive away. So we need to find a way to be non-drinkers from here on out in a world that drinks.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello. And hey no worries . this is a simple but not so simple process feel me? Right ? Look you had three weeks under your belt. Thats great. So you got a little taste of it. Try it again tweak it a little put a little spice in it to your liking so you keep going for more. ✌
Old 12-24-2019, 05:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't know if you can quit with a drinking husband or not, but a lot of people on this site have done just that. It's not impossible, and it isn't anyone else's fault if I pour alcohol into my own mouth.

I don't know if you'll be able to convince him how serious it is for him to bring alcohol into the house right now while you're trying to quit...but if you can't convince him then another plan has to be in place like you leave the room or leave the house until you calm down and can handle seeing it without drinking it.

Alcohol is everywhere and at some point I had to find ways to deal with every single occasion that I was going to encounter it.

You can do this. Whatever it takes, no?
Old 12-24-2019, 07:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No one here can know what your marriage looks like. My wife was also drinking every night but not to the extent of me. Maybe 1-3 spiked seltzer’s a night. Not a problem drinker by any means.

When I told her I needed help she was very supportive and now will have a bottle of wine on the weekend and that’s it. She will also have a Bloody Mary when we go out to eat. I have zero issue with it and she has asked me multiple times if it was ok if she could. It doesn’t trigger me and I think the main reason is because we have had many deep meaningful conversations about it.

It might be hard but sit him down and tell him what you need from him. You never know, he may break down as well and realize he needs to make changes too.

Whatever the case, good luck!
Old 12-24-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am very thankful for my wonderful wife who came to the conclusion at the same time as I did that she had a problem. We've been attending meetings together and supporting each other. I hope for you and your husbands' sake that he sees the light and decides to be supportive.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am glad you are back. Glad you are honest about your sobriety. I am glad you are doing this for yourself. Please look at this as getting back to it. You have had a taste of being alcohol free and it feels good.
I read online the other day an example of life.
You really want to learn how to ride a bike- really really want to learn.
You fall off your bike. Do you walk away from the bike and give up? No you learn how to ride the bike because you have faith you can do it.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad you are back. Perhaps some tweaking of your plan is in order?

I have been sober for 18 months and my husband is an active alcoholic. It took me years of trying before I finally quit for good. My AH was an excellent enabler: he excused my most heinous behavior, down-played the extent of my problem, and helped to reinforce my drinking behavior.

Ultimately, I had to come to the realization that my alcoholism was my responsibility and I was the only one who could solve my problem. It was 100% an inside job.

It took a ton of support here at SR, grit, and determination for me to stop drinking, and stay stopped. Even now, I really have to dig deep some days to stay the course.

It’s hard to quit with an active drinker in the house - but you can do it! I believe in you.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
herby

Only kidding

Originally Posted by herby View Post
Thanks everyone I am proud I managed 3 weeks. From now on any booze in the house is going down the sink. If truth be known I need a new husband who doesn't drink. X
Only kidding about my husband. It's not his fault I gave in. X
Old 12-24-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
herby

Originally Posted by C0ntr0ls View Post
I need a new husband who doesn't drink. Really?

Sorry, but that doesn't sound right.
Didn't mean it about my husband. It was my fault I gave in. X
Old 12-24-2019, 08:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I’ve failed so many times. Most of us have. 3 Weeks is solid and you can get right back on track!
Old 12-24-2019, 09:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Herby...today's a new day. Great time to get a run at a sober new year...new decade. Give yourself the best possible Christmas present - a better life. Best of luck ND
Old 12-24-2019, 09:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Glad you came right back! I am about a week away from four years sober, and my husband still has beer every night. In the beginning it really bothered me, I was never a beer drinker, but the habit of coming home and pouring a drink was something we both did.

I made it a point to have lots of food nonalcoholic drinks in the house, and I still do. I’ve gone through phases and currently have Arizona Zero and Sparkling water most nights. I do not miss alcohol at all anymore.

You can do this!