Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

For the first time in my life I realized that I am truly happy

Old 12-16-2019, 10:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It was my birthday on Thursday, I turned 64. So, of course my family is going to call me. Let's just say that we are polar opposites on the political spectrum. They wanted to talk politics, I didn't, but it happened anyway. It didn't upset me. My drama queen dtr called and told me that her ex filed a Restraining Order against her and I was a person that he listed to pass messages back and forth between them. Didn't upset me.

I told both dtr and ex don in law that I have rules. That I will pass messages but that I am a neutral party at this point and I am doing it for my grandsons, both agreed.

Then my youngest dtr called and she had been drinking and still was during the phone call. For unknown reasons she just blurted out, my dad never hit you, you lied about that. I told her it was my birthday and I'm not listening to this today. I hung up. She did call back numerous times and I did talk to her again, and she was full of I'm sorrys, whatever, but we are still good now.

I did not try to JADE (justify, argue, defend, explain) her. I told her that we can perhaps talk about this another day, so we just both talked about good times between the 2 of us.

I'm at peace today because I don't feel the need to JADE anymore. I don't want to do that anymore. (Yes, my ex did hit me multiple times, no I never threw myself down the steps so that I could blame him for my black eye). I'm at peace because I am at peace with myself. I changed a lot to hopefully be the best person that I can be. If I need to do more changing, I can do that also. I no longer feel the need to prove that I am right. I don't want to destroy my ex's relationship with his children. I want my children to have their father, they need that. He is good to them. I don't want to destroy that.

I look back at the time that I wanted everyone to see me as the victim, and how abusive he was to me, that wasn't true, (it was true that he was abusive) I was a willing participant, I stayed. I had choices, I chose not to use them. I got tired of carrying around all the resentment that I had. It was making me ill.

I no longer have the need to prove right or wrong. I choose to be me, and you can like me or love me or not. I'm finally free.

SR made this happen for me.
Thank You,
(((((((hugs))))))
Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas
Old 12-16-2019, 10:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is wonderful to hear. X
Old 12-16-2019, 11:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy birthday Amy - and thank you for introducing me to the concept of JADE

D
Old 12-17-2019, 12:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Amy...….Congratulations on your birthday and using your boundaries!!

I know what you mean about political discussions....I have told my family members that I no longer want to discuss politics (except for one sister)….I have told them that I refuse to let politics tear this family apart.
In fact, when I meet someone, now...I don't want to know what political party they belong to....or, what religion they subscribe to....

And...if they don't like cats or Hank Williams, they can kiss my______!

lol....
Old 12-17-2019, 01:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Amy. Your post is encouraging and inspiring. It's great to hear that you got to the other side of doing your work on yourself. I'm sure it wasn't easy and it gives hope to others of us who still have a way to go.
happy birthday
Old 12-17-2019, 06:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Happy belated birthday Amy! You sound so calm and in charge...and happy! I am so happy for you. You have and continue to inspire me, and I thank you for that!
Old 12-17-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Amy55,

Thanks for the great share. Happy Birthday and I'm glad that you are truly happy in your life. Keep being strong and Have a wonderful day.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Happy Birthday Amy. I wonder if there are people who work this all out early in their lives? You often hear the saying I'd like to be x age (younger) and know what I know now.

No wonder older people are respected in many cultures.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What a wonderful post!

Happy birthday and Happy Holidays Amy!

You give me hope. I do not JADE anymore, even when I want to...so I look forward to a time I can be at as peace with it as you are and never even want to.

*HUG*
Old 12-17-2019, 08:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday and I hope it was an enjoyable day for you.

I'm happy for you Amy! You do sound happy and in charge. This is great!