Notices

Friends who drink!

Old 11-29-2019, 02:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friends who drink!

Hi guys,

So, basically, I stayed at my friends house last night as his family were away and asked if I would. I was happy too. When he got home from work I was already there (I have a key, I didn't just break in lol) and he said he had a really stressful day at work and had 2 bottles of wine. Now, we're very similar and I know that earlier this year if i had a bad day at work I would be doing the same thing. It was fine at first but once he was nearly 1 bottle down, I noticed the change in his mood and general demeanor. He was a bit passive aggressive but also kind of clingy. I decided to go to the supermarket just to get away for a bit and he was really concerned I wouldn't come back. I reassured him I would and I did return. When I got back, he was passed out on the sofa so I woke him up and said I'd help him to bed as he had work the next day. He briefly woke up, slurred a few inaudible words at me, then fell straight back to sleep. 2 hours later, while I'm upstairs in bed, he rings me and asks where I am. He couldn't remember me coming back and waking me up. Anyway, that was that and he went to bed and got up for the work the next day. I guess I just needed to spell all this out (sorry it's an essay) because the situation left me feeling a few things, ranging from: irritation, pity and anger. He wanted me to stay tonight but he will be drinking as it's friday and I just can't be bothered with it. I may sound evangelical but I just think it's such a sad shame that people deal with their problems by knocking back 2 bottles of wine (or whatever drug they prefer). He says he doesn't think he has a problem but also says he really wants to stop drinking and I'm sick of listening to it now. My sister is an alcoholic too and she is just full of self pity. Thankfully I have only seen her twice this year.

Sorry again for the essay! Rant over.

Gray x
Old 11-29-2019, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've got a good friend who's been drinking in excess lately and can relate. We'll online game from time to time and when he's drunk my internet tends to "drop signal" and I do something else. LOL I don't mind people drinking but, drunks are annoying. I know I was!
Old 11-29-2019, 04:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
I don't mind people drinking but, drunks are annoying. I know I was!
EXACTLY! Drunks are annoying. I was so irritated by him and couldn't really wait to get away from him and go to bed. Kind of a horrible feeling when I know that if he was sober I wouldn't have felt like that. Also just the fact that I kept thinking "Why would he knock back 2 bottles of wine on a work night? He's going to feel like hell tomorrow". I know that I used to do it too though, which makes me annoyed with myself. So happy to not be that person anymore.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can so relate to your post, Gray. It’s very difficult to be around friends and family when they are drinking to get drunk. For me, I don’t mind when people get tipsy but once they turn that corner to drunk, I’m out.

I find that I become annoyed, irritable, and frustrated. When that happens, I have to leave the situation. I do try very hard not to judge though because I was in that same place a mere 18 months ago.

I don’t think you evangelical, I think you are defining your boundaries. And that’s a very good thing.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I was drinking I had a problem being around someone that was drunk unless I was drunk or drunker.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You don't have to hang out with anyone who has a drinking problem. It can be that simple, if it makes your life easier, and keeps you heading further away instead of closer to a drink. Since I think you are in your first year, perhaps think about when and why you spend time with different people.