Notices

Health consequences

Old 11-22-2019, 03:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Health consequences

I relapsed. A lot. And I’m back.

After waking up in the middle of the night in a total panic for the umpteenth time I decided it really needed to happen this time. My whole body felt inflamed, pins and needles in my hands. I’m on day four and my physical symptoms are fine now (withdrawal was easy) but I have some residual pins and needles. I have some concerns about long term damage (I was a long term binge drinker who could do several bottles of wine a day) and I’m terrified to go to the doctor.

I need a push, healing journey stories, etc.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Glad you are back.

There are healing stories aplenty in this forum. But what you really need is the reassurance of a medical professional, not an anonymous forum. Overcome your fear and see your doctor. Your health concerns didn't stop you from drinking, don't let them hinder your recovery.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The body will always do its very best to heal itself if the environment is conducive to healing! I do have damage that can't be reversed but the vast majority of my problems have got a lot better - see a doctor to get bloods done and a vitamin supplement (B vits in particular). That's cool that you've made this decision!
Old 11-22-2019, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When you punish your body day after day, it's inevitable that some damage is going to happen. Probably not permanent liver damage, or the deadly alcohol related killers, but you've spent a lot of time holding yourself back when you could have been pushing yourself getting a little more exercise. That's not being very nice to yourself. Of course you can also die from alcohol. How much damage are you willing to accept? Looking back on my life, I would now say the acceptable amount of damage should be none. But tell that to yourself in your 20s and it sounds like a joke.

I agree with others, however. If you're worried about what you may have done to yourself, ask your doctor. He may or may not have the answer, but it's probably better than hearing it from a forum of people who have spent half of our lives killing off brain cells.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Doggonecarl is right, you can't get medical advice from this forum. You can get great moral support, though. Going to see a doctor will allow you to know where you stand in terms of your health. If you don't get medical advice then any problem that you might have won't go away. I hope you decide to see your doctor.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 4. I agree with everyone else. Go see your doctor! Don't be terrified of that.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
a forum of people who have spent half of our lives killing off brain cells.
That made me laugh aloud. Very funny

Prettiekittie, I am glad you are back. I get pretty anxious about health. I found that stuff abated after a couple of weeks.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back prettiekittie

yeah seeing a doctor is scary but it's really the only way to put those hea;lth fears to rest.

I hope you'll make an appointment and put your mind at ease

D
Old 11-23-2019, 07:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, it’s scary, Dee, but doctors have seen it all before. It must be rewarding for a GP when a patient comes in proactively to ask about drinking.

My GP was cool about it. My blood tests were fine which meant I could move on and recover properly. I reasoned that if my bloods weren’t OK and I needed treatment for any liver damage, I’d be way better off knowing.

And once you’ve ‘fessed up to your GP, that’s another person you’re accountable too. My GP still asks if I’m drinking, and I don’t have to lie when I say no.