Notices

Feeling guilty

Old 11-10-2019, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling guilty

I’m 36 days sober today and it’s been a horrible anxiety filled day. This seems to be happening about every other day. One good day, one terrible day, back and forth. On days like today I just want to relax as much as possible. Be in bed, read forums, watch tv, basically be left alone. But I feel horribly guilty doing this. I have two kids, the older one wants to have friends over and I just feel like my nerves can’t take it. The younger one (7) always wants something and it’s just draining me. Family members want to visit and I turn them down and I don’t think my husband really understands what I’m going through. I feel like a worse person sober because I’m an anxious mess and can’t do anything and I’m just pushing everyone away. Sorry for the rambling, just needed to get it off my chest.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It won't always be like this Jaz - it will get better

One of the reasons I use the word recovery is because we;re recovering from a serious condition.

You'd cancel, if you weren't feeling well for any other reason, right?

D
Old 11-10-2019, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Jaz,

Congrats on day 36! That is awesome.
Please be kind to yourself and do not feel guilty. You are getting "sober" !! I have heard very successful people speak with a huge list of accomplishments the message is always the same, " getting Sober was the hardest thing I ever did."

Also if you drink you will not be present for your children anyhow. Drinking will cause a lot more guilt. So please protect your sobriety this early on.

I have heard every parent under sun (alcoholic or not) explaining the feelings you are feeling. Put your oxygen mask on
Old 11-10-2019, 04:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry that sounds really tough. For me the anxiety at least calmed down a lot but yeah those not like us don't get how hard it is I think.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My go to is exercise. Sounds like the last thing you need when you're tired but it seems to shake up all those brain chemicals and get everything flowing.

I have had serious anxiety issues and exercise has been the number one weapon I've found to deal with it.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 36 days of sobriety. I do hope that you start to feel better soon, but early recovery is a difficult time. Try to find a balance between looking after your responsibilities and taking care of yourself.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Congrats on 36 days. It sounds like you know what you need right now. Part of recovery is learning to self-care and set boundaries.

What you are doing is the best thing you could ever do for yourself and your family. Taking care of you is taking care of them. It won't be like it is now forever.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 36! That’s brilliant. Be kind to yourself and if you need to relax - relax it’s part of your healing 😊