How does a sponser help you work al anon?

Old 11-26-2004, 09:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
al anon

How does a sponser help you work al anon?

hi
i am new to al anon and these boards. i have been to 6 meetings and i am wondering if i can/should go through the first few steps on my own or get a sponser. also if anyone here can give me advice on how to approach any of the steps it would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 11-27-2004, 01:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Hi Truth,
I picked my sponsor because she had been in Al-Anon for a long time, and seemed to be relatively happy most of the time. She helped me work the steps by sharing her own experience and discussing the literature with me. She comforted me when I struggled, and pushed me when I got too comfortable.

One of the things that helped me the most was to get the books that discuss the steps. "How Al-Anon Works" and "Paths to Recovery" are two books that I really got a lot out of. "The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions" is also good. Attending step meetings helped too. Hearing how people used the steps in their situations gave me a better understanding.

The books are like school text books. I learned how to add, then I could use it as a skill. The same with the steps. As I studied them, my sponsor would show me where in my life I could use them.

There is nothing wrong with studying the steps on our own, but having someone to help us to apply them is a great asset. Hugs, Magic
Old 11-27-2004, 04:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Truth,

Good for you on your meetings! A sponsor can also be the person you can tell it all to. As I am sure you have found, meetings are not a place to dump your personal troubles. A sponsor is the first person you should call when you need advice and support. She is your mentor, your best friend, your teacher and your example. She will hug you when you take a leap forward and let you know you when you are wandering off in the wrong direction.

Take your time choosing and remember you can always change your mind.

Hugs,
JT