Notices

It feels good to feel good

Old 10-23-2019, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It feels good to feel good

I just wanted to check in and share how happy I’ve been NOT waking up hungover and full of regret for over nine months! It hasn’t always been easy and I know I need to stay diligent, but even when I’ve had a bad day (and there have been plenty this year), it’s been so much better than it could have been. There were a few specific times where I was craving a drink and it was usually around one of those bad days, when I just wanted to shut my brain off and feel better, but playing the tape forward and reminding myself of how it won’t fix anything, quite the opposite, has helped me stay on track.

My life isn’t perfect. Quitting drinking didn’t fix everything, but it’s fixed some things, particularly my physical, mental and emotional health, and that’s made me stronger for all the things quitting drinking DIDN’T fix. I don’t want to rub my current happiness in anyone’s face, I just wanted to share a positive update and hope that you’re all being kind to yourselves, wherever you’re at right now. You deserve that.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats. On your sober time. And why not shout out your progress. I do all the time in proud of myself as well and such so should you be as well. We are all in this struggle together. I'm a little behind you but I'm getting there. ✌
Old 10-23-2019, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post. It sure does and it’s also nice being nice. Recovery is a wonderful way of life and give true peace of mind and contentment 🙏
Old 10-23-2019, 09:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks for an encouraging post, KeepingUp. It's ridiculous that we drink to feel better, calmer, have fun - when alcohol abuse gives us none of those things. At the end of my drinking career I was filled with anxiety & self-doubt. I'm so glad we don't live that way anymore.

Congratulations on your 9+ months of sobriety.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Nine months sober is wonderful! And you're not 'throwing it in anyone's face', on the contrary, you're sending a very positive message of hope to those still struggling.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 10-23-2019, 03:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

great positive update KeepingUp - thank you

D
Old 10-23-2019, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

KeepingUp, I adore these kind of posts. I am around 3 months so when someone comes on here and tells me that they are doing great at 9 months that is really encouraging to me and bucks me up. Thank you very much for sharing and huge congratulations on your 9 months.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What a great post, and you said something I don't think gets said enough "it feels good to feel good". So simple yet so important. A real game changer.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
What a great post, and you said something I don't think gets said enough "it feels good to feel good". So simple yet so important. A real game changer.
^^^^ This! I was so used to waking up feeling horrible, that it took me a while for the reality to sink in, that waking up feeling good was normal.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KeepingUp View Post
I just wanted to check in and share how happy I’ve been NOT waking up hungover and full of regret for over nine months! It hasn’t always been easy and I know I need to stay diligent, but even when I’ve had a bad day (and there have been plenty this year), it’s been so much better than it could have been. There were a few specific times where I was craving a drink and it was usually around one of those bad days, when I just wanted to shut my brain off and feel better, but playing the tape forward and reminding myself of how it won’t fix anything, quite the opposite, has helped me stay on track.

My life isn’t perfect. Quitting drinking didn’t fix everything, but it’s fixed some things, particularly my physical, mental and emotional health, and that’s made me stronger for all the things quitting drinking DIDN’T fix. I don’t want to rub my current happiness in anyone’s face, I just wanted to share a positive update and hope that you’re all being kind to yourselves, wherever you’re at right now. You deserve that.
Congratulations! All choices are made in the pursuit of happiness. When we abuse drugs, we do so because we believe it will bring more happiness at least for the moment. You chose your best option, your bigger-better-offer, based on reason. The only way we will stop desiring heavy substances and change our behavior is by seeing more happiness in the change than in the using. When you believe you will be happier reducing or quitting your substance use you will never have to feel an "uncontrollable," urge to use problematically. It really is what you think and believe.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KeepingUp View Post
I don’t want to rub my current happiness in anyone’s face
Please feel free to put your joy out there for the rest of us to share. Your joy is good for those who are still struggling as well as those of us who have sorted this thing out a long time ago.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Can't wait to wake up and say this...not there yet.