Notices

First AA meeting...check

Old 10-10-2019, 06:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First AA meeting...check

Attended my first AA meeting this evening and WHEW was I a nervous wreck. But I survived and everyone was really nice. Met a few ladies who all offered their phone numbers. Introduced myself very briefly (name and number of sober days). They did an around the room reading but I was able to pass (thank goodness, I知 terrified of public speaking). Got my white chip. I知 hoping as I go to more and get more comfortable with the people I値l be able to open up. So, first meeting and day 5 down. This is just the beginning!
Old 10-10-2019, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for that. I'm thinking about attending my first AA meeting, and I have many of the same fears.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're taking action and working on your recovery.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
Thanks for that. I'm thinking about attending my first AA meeting, and I have many of the same fears.
Despite how nervous I was, I left feeling very happy that I went and definitely plan on returning. Go for it! And let me know how it goes.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks for attending! Keep going back!
Old 10-10-2019, 08:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi,
I was so nervous too, and yet there I was, at 55 years old. Best, the best action I have ever taken in my life. That was almost 7 years ago.
It'll be easier my friend. Good to have you here on SR!

Bobbi
Old 10-10-2019, 09:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JazV36 View Post
Attended my first AA meeting this evening and WHEW was I a nervous wreck. But I survived and everyone was really nice. Met a few ladies who all offered their phone numbers. Introduced myself very briefly (name and number of sober days). They did an around the room reading but I was able to pass (thank goodness, I知 terrified of public speaking). Got my white chip. I知 hoping as I go to more and get more comfortable with the people I値l be able to open up. So, first meeting and day 5 down. This is just the beginning!
Good job. You're on your way to a new life.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
If you need a little extra help getting to a meeting, you could call Central Service 303-322-5636 and ask for a couple of gals to come out on a 12-Step call. I think they still do those.

(I'd actually volunteer to take you over to York Street myself, maybe to the women's meeting or something, but if you think AA is scary, you should meet me!!!)
Old 10-10-2019, 10:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't think I've ever met someone who didn't feel nervous or apprehensive going to there first AA meeting. "Keep coming back" is one motto that is there for a reason. Going through the doors was waaaay out of my comfort zone but it gets better, so much better. Sobriety is awesome.... life starts all over in so many ways. Keep up the good work!! Visit this site often and hear the hope and gratitude of those who are making it. It will change your life in ways you could never imagine.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on going Jaz! VERY brave of you and it gets sooo much easier. In the first few meetings, I had someone go with me. It was an open meeting and they just introduced themselves as "Hi, I'm So and so and here to support Zevin." The first time by myself, I drove around and around the building and couldn't go in. I was so disappointed in myself.
The second time by myself, I got there EARLY and hung out with the smokers until the building was unlocked.
Now, I am SO proud that I can go by myself, welcome newcomers and give out my phone number.

HeadEast, go to a meeting and let us know how it goes. Remember, EVERYONE has been in the exact same state of mind you are in. They will understand how you feel.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been in and out of AA for a long time. It's always scary going back after a break but people are always kind.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good job on attending your first AA meeting.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Congratulations on day 6. It's not an easy thing to free yourself so it's awesome you called in some help.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Patcha- are you back in the program now? Hope so.

Jaz- awesome stuff! When is your next one? When I finally went to AA it was the end of the line, and I did about 82 of the 90/90 suggested. I think the other days I was at the dr or psych - getting on a regular routine is a great idea.

And HeadEast, I hope you give it a try too!
Old 10-11-2019, 02:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

The only AA meeting you are ever late to is your first.
Congrats JazV36
All the best to you.