Slip of the tongue today

Old 10-04-2019, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slip of the tongue today

Ok...this was really not funny. At least not to anyone that has not been through the years of alcoholic tortures. For me, it just came out and then I started laughing and had to excuse myself.

A little background first- we live in a small town. I grew up in this town and everyone knows everyone. Gossip gets around fast and I am sure this will be the topic of the day. I am a VERY private person. No one knows anything about me that I do not want them to know. As far as they are concerned, I am happily married and have saints for children. (So not true) Anyway, today I went into the hardware store to get some rat traps (the old school kind) because these critters are wreaking havoc on my life. The gal at the counter asked me if I needed anything else and I blurt out, "It would be nice if these came husband sized with a place to put a bottle of vodka...then maybe someone to dig a hole..." You guys....I almost died! I was mortified for like 5 seconds and then she laughed awkwardly and said she would let me know if she got any in....I picked up my stuff and walked out. No receipt, no bag...my teenage son was dying....MOOOOOMMMM!!! (Of course he did stop and go back for a second bag of popcorn)

What the heck happened to my filter today?

I am usually Susy Sunshine. So now I am waiting for the story to be told on social media (I promise it will be...small towns do that) and wondering what I am going to say when it happens. My AH has many clients in our town and they just think we are the perfect little family....lord have mercy....
Old 10-04-2019, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

oddsunflower…...I actually do think it is funny....in it's own sort of way.....
funny how the truth will always bubble to the top, sooner or later.
The Earth will still spin on it's own axis and the locusts probably won't come.
I'll bet you would be surprised that there are some people who suspect the truth....and, I'll bet that you would be surprised at how many are guarding their own "secrets" in their own homes...right there in your small town.....
Old 10-04-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oddsunflower View Post
What the heck happened to my filter today?

I am usually Susy Sunshine.

what the heck happpened? you gave an honest answer to a question- an answer showing your only suzy sunshine when it comes to outward appearances maybe?
Old 10-04-2019, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No one knows anything about me that I do not want them to know. As far as they are concerned, I am happily married and have saints for children.

um, you might be fooling yourself a wee bit there. you might think you are projecting this perfect image, but i doubt many others out there are totally buying it. it could be that they just don't care.

i grew up in a small town. my mother (divorced) was a prominent psuedo-political figure (president of the chamber of commerce, property manager, closely connected with state senator and out of town dignitaries, etc). she had a long ongoing affair with another prominent figure - married, dozen kids, mayor, bank president, etc. everyone in town knew about it...well except me, i was like literally the LAST person to know, even tho he came to our house almost every night so they could "talk business".

but even tho "everyone" knew it was like so what? it didn't stop them. the wife knew for sure, but she didn't do anything about it. the kids knew, at least the ones as old or older than i.

rarely does anyone get away with throwing a tablecloth over the elephant in the room and anyone really believing it's an end table.

there is a saying - we are only as sick as our secrets. maybe the burden of trying to keep the BIG SECRET is just too much.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are all probably so right about folks knowing more than I want to think they do...
As I distance myself from the alcoholic I think I just stopped caring what others think....I even just tell the kids "dad's drunk and passed out" instead of making excuses about his long workday...
I suppose the public image would be the next to be revealed....
Old 10-04-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well your story made me laugh out loud.

I have never lived in a small town but where does he buy his alcohol? Does he not go out drunk? Does he not go to the pub?

I agree with what everyone is saying. And the truth will absolutely set you free.

I'm glad you are straight up with your children, it will serve them well. A little bit of "how he behaves is not ok" will go a long way as well. A dash of, this is not how normal relationships work is also good.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That was too funny. I found you a man size one.

Resizer_15702292494100.jpg
Old 10-04-2019, 05:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The best mouse traps are the ones that are covered up. So you don't see the mouse or vodka. It almost looks like a coffin. Just tip the mouse out into the garbage can.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't know, I thought that was very funny. I laughed out loud, too. If only!

Seriously, sometimes stress makes the truth come out of the mouth. I've done something similar and equally mortifying.

We drove the car to a very local body shop to get some work done to it after it was in an accident, and I said, while the AH was standing next to me, "Don't let him pick the car up." The body shop guy laughed. I said, "No, I'm serious. I'm the owner. He'll just drive it drunk." Oops. Total silence in the room. I couldn't believe it popped out of my mouth. That wasn't nice of me to say but it was true.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

sunflower that's too funny! the thought of your mouth just spontaneously taking over from your brain. Having lived in a small town for many years I doubt it will make more than a small ripple. It could have been said by many women whose husband woke up grumpy with a hangover.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You guys are fabulous! Thank you for making me not feel so crazy! I love this group!
Old 10-05-2019, 08:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you over there with that fabulous sense of humor!
Old 10-05-2019, 09:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

OddSunflower,

.....breaking news...Suzy sunshine possessed by Oddsunflower. Letting her heart talk what Suzy would never say....

I'm glad you don't sugar coat it for your kids. They always know more then we think. They just want the truth and to know someone cares for them. You just keep looking out for you and your kids. Don't worry about the rest of the town.

I hope you have a good day and be strong.