Notices

Hypnosis for alcohol addiction

Old 09-27-2019, 11:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hypnosis for alcohol addiction

Has anyone tried hypnosis for addiction? I just don't think I am strong enough to quit through an AA program just yet. I suppose I am looking for a quick and easy way out.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Hi KB and welcome to SR!

I have no experience with hypnotism but I have plenty of
experience with addiction and one of the common phrases used is “The only way out is through”. There is no quick and easy way out, you have to go through the uncomfortable feelings, commit to change, get out of your comfort zone to come out the other side. You don’t need strength to do AA, just a willingness to change. No-one turns up at their first AA meeting feeling strong and ready and pumped, usually instead they feel broken, hopeless and desperate. x
Old 09-28-2019, 01:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome KB86

No never tried it.

Even tho the act of quitting and staying quit was hard in the beginning, I'm kind of glad I did it that way - it makes me feel my recovery is tried tested and resilient and personally I need to feel about it that way.

No disrespect to advocates of hypnosis, but I don't think I'd feel the same surety had I gone the hypnosis route.

D
Old 09-28-2019, 02:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think you answered your own question....if you're looking for an easy way or a quick fix, there isn't one. Not drinking is the first step, whatever you do.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I didn't try.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've probably heard both pros and cons about the effectiveness of hypnosis in addiction, but mostly I remember hearing from a lot of sources is that the effect is temporary. The lesson here is that the very nature of full recovery depends on it not being temporary. If you don't stop for good, you really haven't stopped and you really haven't recovered. Temporary is not a solution. Maybe some people have recovered from addictions through hypnosis, but I've never seen statistics. I've only heard anecdotal reports.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is one person who comes to my meetings who said it helped her. At the same time she is an active part of aa, and stresses that is a huge part of her recovery as well.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hynosis works great...as long as you don't drink.