Notices

"I don't drink anymore"

Old 08-18-2019, 11:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"I don't drink anymore"

Last night I told a few friends that I stopped drinking. I didn't go into detail about why and they didn't really ask, even though one was a bit disappointed as we used to party together back in the day and as she's currently embracing a newly single life, she's also embracing a bit of partying (far more responsibly than I'm capable of). However, even that disappointment didn't sour our evening; they drank and while I had a small twinge of missing out, I also didn't. I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish I could drink like them, have a few, have a good time, go to bed and let that be it. That's not how I drink. And I'm starting to accept that. Better than that, I'm starting to accept it enough that I can tell people. Not all the nitty gritty details, but I can tell them that I don't drink any more. And while they didn't ask, I was prepared if they did to just say I'm much healthier and happier without it, which is true. With over seven months under my belt, my longest sobriety to date, after a million times of "trying to quit" without really committing to it, being able to say out loud to friends (and to myself) that I don't drink anymore is a HUGE step. Drinking was part of my identity for a long time and I'm working on distancing myself from that. Glad to see it's finally taking and I couldn't be happier about it.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Telling friends is a huge accomplishment, well done! I made the same realisation and I think it's an important one: sure, it seems like it would be nice to have a drink or two with friends, but when I get an urge to drink, it isn't for one or two. I get the urge to be drunk, to blot out the stress I'm feeling.

I've learned that when I was drinking, I would drink to avoid stress and anxiety, but though it provided immediate relief, it simply postponed the problem and gave it time to fester and grow. What a miserable existence. Now that I don't do that, I have managed to get those feelings under control feel completely at peace with the fact that alcohol is out there, but it's not for me.

So yeah, 'I don't drink anymore,' is the phrase I have gone with too. Appreciate you sharing
Old 08-18-2019, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It feels good to know that I don't drink anymore.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Me too. Don’t drink anymore. Thank goodness for that.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Shoot I tell anyone and everyone I dont drink anymore and some feel intrigued when I say my day count at 106 days. They are blown away. And to boot the place I get asked is where ? At a pub that has a pool table.. I mean its not like I get in preach mode. Dont want to be a buzz kill. But I am open about it. And if they want to know more I would tell them what worked for me.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on seven months and for making strides in your recovery!

When it comes to personal relationships, one thing I've learned is that they will change in recovery whether you like it or not. I don't believe there is any way to avoid this.

Generally speaking, people are hesitant to change and there is a certain "pecking order" when it comes to social circles. My experience has been that as I made progress in recovery the attitude towards me shifted from open support to quiet resentment from certain individuals. In the end, my sobriety comes before anybody on this planet and I had to cut ties with quite a few people.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, forgive me if I'm distracting from the point of your thread. Just wanted to share my personal experience with friendship in sobriety.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job. And you can always decline an invite for whatever reason- gauging my comfort level was key, especially in early months like you. Keep going and I have found that my ease, my responses, everything became just...how I do things now.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Acceptance is key 🙏 Truly grateful to be sober; keep working on your recovery daily and you will become eternally grateful for your sobriety in my experience.