Step one

Old 07-26-2019, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Step one

step one leaves you lonely. I’m working the Alanon steps and will sit with this one for awhile. I am enough. I just gotta believe it now.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dazed, you might find Melodie Beattie's Step comments helpful as you work on each. I think that what she has to say about Step 1 is foundational for the entirety of involvement in the program - the Steps are meant to be worked on with others, either directly or in fellowship. One of the factors that bring many of us to AlAnon is our previous propensity to isolate as a learned coping strategy in emotionally impossible situations. Step One helps us begin to choose community over protective insulation. Do you have a sponsor? One of the key functions of a sponsor is to provide mentorship and keep us company as we bravely venture into ourselves to create a better life.

Melodie Beatty:

"One of the most significant words in the First Step is the word we. We come together because of a common problem, and, in the coming together, we find a common solution. Through the fellowship of Twelve Step programs, many of us discover that although we may have felt alone in our pain, others have experienced a similar suffering. And now many are joining hands in a similar recovery. We. A significant part of recovery. A shared experience. A shared strength, stronger for the sharing. A shared hope—for better lives and relationships."
Old 07-27-2019, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FallenAngelina View Post
Dazed, you might find Melodie Beattie's Step comments helpful as you work on each. I think that what she has to say about Step 1 is foundational for the entirety of involvement in the program - the Steps are meant to be worked on with others, either directly or in fellowship. One of the factors that bring many of us to AlAnon is our previous propensity to isolate as a learned coping strategy in emotionally impossible situations. Step One helps us begin to choose community over protective insulation. Do you have a sponsor? One of the key functions of a sponsor is to provide mentorship and keep us company as we bravely venture into ourselves to create a better life.

Melodie Beatty:

"One of the most significant words in the First Step is the word we. We come together because of a common problem, and, in the coming together, we find a common solution. Through the fellowship of Twelve Step programs, many of us discover that although we may have felt alone in our pain, others have experienced a similar suffering. And now many are joining hands in a similar recovery. We. A significant part of recovery. A shared experience. A shared strength, stronger for the sharing. A shared hope—for better lives and relationships."
I get that. I tried a sponsor once, but she was too controlling over a lot of my life. Go figure. Lol. I understand one sponsor is not a watershed and in time I might consider another. I am naturally an introspective person. I like being alone and coming to my own truths. I do share my insights with my home group and therapist, but my philosophy is we are put on this planet to have a journey about ourselves to know ourselves and find our truths. I tend to be easily influenced I find(thus an alcoholic marriage) so in my current wobbly state I find being in my own is helping me to center myself, create a solid personal foundation and listen to my gut. In time, I hope to have more people in my life to share my happiness with; but, I have to create that happiness in myself first. And to my mind, only I can do that. I do have the book you mentioned and am going thru it now. All the love. ❤️
Old 07-27-2019, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I never felt safe to express my truths before, I was always looking out for the other persons feelings first. I’m not doing that anymore; but I’m fragile right now and do not want to chance falling back into old patterns that ultimately hurt me.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dazed.....as you say that you are easily influenced......could you be talking about boundaries, here...…..
Could it be that you could use some duct tape and bailing wire to patch some places in your boundaries.....?
Old 07-27-2019, 08:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dazedandconfus View Post
I get that. I tried a sponsor once, but she was too controlling over a lot of my life. Go figure. Lol. I understand one sponsor is not a watershed and in time I might consider another.
The good news here is that your boundaries are healthy enough to recognize a controlling presence that isn't working for you and to step away from it. When you're ready, a healthier thinking sponsor will feel like an asset to your life, not like a monitor, but waiting for the right person is smart. Took me a year and a half to invite a sponsor into my program.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Dazed.....as you say that you are easily influenced......could you be talking about boundaries, here...…..
Could it be that you could use some duct tape and bailing wire to patch some places in your boundaries.....?
amen. Take out stock in it.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The exact fit sponsor appeared for me seemingly out of nowhere! Seven years ago, been working together ever since.