Notices

2-1/2 years sober

Old 07-21-2019, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2-1/2 years sober

Hi All,

It’s been a while since I posted on the main forum, though I regularly check in and read. Anyhow, I woke up this morning and realized I have 2-1/2 years officially. At least, I think that’s correct if my sober date is 1/21/17. Maybe it’s different if you count days or weeks instead of months. Doesn’t matter. It’s always one day at a time.

My life has changed so much from being sober. I went to a birthday party last night and was around so many drunk and/or stoned people. One gal asked me why I didn’t drink and I gave one of my usual answers, for health reasons, which is true. There’s no need to go into the back story detail, especially with someone I just met. She was already fairly blitzed by this time and slurred on about her brother being a recovered alcoholic and how he’s able to have fun at parties without drinking now (check), how she was envious of how good my skin looks which she guessed is from not drinking (check), and a bunch of other things. She said she’s not an alcoholic and is glad for that because heavy drinking is so much a part of her social life, she just can’t imagine ever giving it up. While talking to her, I realized I was looking directly at my past self about five years ago having a very similar conversation with some random guy who had quit drinking.

Another totally blitzed girl kept coming up to me and urging me to drink and asking repeatedly why I didn’t drink. Even nudged me in the shoulder and made a comment that I was no fun. That was also me several years ago, how I behaved around other people when drinking. Only a year ago, I would have been uncomfortable and anxious meeting and talking to these people at parties, to the point I mostly avoided going out at all. Now I am totally comfortable being myself. I sometimes find these folks annoying. But I tend to have compassion for them more than anything.

It felt so good to drive home completely sober. I was up early this morning and when I realized the date, I decided to run a solitary half marathon to celebrate my half soberversary. I had been caught in a 7-10 mile run rut for a long time. I needed to push myself. It’s been a long time since my last half marathon. On my distance runs, I think a lot about distance running being an analogy to sobriety, and life in general. Running from the core is like living life based on my core values. I try not to think about something being forever or the end goal. It’s always one step at a time, one day at a time. I have learned to run my own race and not compare myself, my pace and time to anyone else. I am not comparing my sobriety to anyone else or wondering why someone else can drink moderately. Running distance has ups and downs, just like life. You power through and before you know it, you are over that hump and even have a second wind.

Sobriety is hard work. But we can do hard things!

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is amazing. Thank you for your post. I got a text from a friend last night that she was at a party and I wondered about going to a party now that I am sober. In the past, my goal was to get trashed and I was the one slurring my words. But I don't go to those kinds of parties anymore anyway. Great job and I am glad there are long time sober people here. Just over a year myself, so I am still getting used to it.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time! Thank you for sharing your inspiring message of hope.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post and congratulations.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, we can do hard things.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wow congrats Fearless

D
Old 07-21-2019, 06:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I read the title my first action was a smile...and my first thought was AMAZING....Congratulations.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hooray for you and for all these 2.5 years have brought and taught you. Yes!!!
Old 07-21-2019, 10:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations
Old 07-22-2019, 02:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for deciding to post. Invaluable stuff & why connecting to this site is so helpful. Key, really. Coming up on one year & so grateful. Congratulations on your journey & what you’ve achieved.