Notices

Cant get a sponsor because of bpd

Old 06-27-2019, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Cant get a sponsor because of bpd

I have tried to get a sponsor but everyone av asked says am too mentally messed up to be sponsored
it ******* pissed off with my psych and people who think am too messed up because I have borderline personality disorder there is a lot of sigma again people who have bpd am sick of it i cant get help because they think we are attention seekers
We are just hurting due to trauma
They dont give a crap
Old 06-27-2019, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

AA sponsors are not medically trained professionals or mental health experts, they are people who have suffered issues with addiction and are just people. If your BPD affects your ability to follow the steps and be guided by the sponsor in an appropriate way it is not fair to attack them for not understanding or wanting to take you on. They may feel that they are not the right person to guide you and they have every right to make that decision, it doesn’t make them a bad person.

If your saying your psychiatrist doesn’t understand BPD then you need to ask for a new Psych.

Anger is a poison that does more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than anything on which it is poured. I know controlling anger can be difficult with BPD but maybe take a walk, go swimming, meditate, dance around the room to music that makes you happy, anything is better than letting this consume you xx
Old 06-27-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Check out CBT

https://www.verywellmind.com/borderl...therapy-425452
Old 06-27-2019, 02:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

what is your motivation behind getting a sponsor? have you been attending meetings on a regular, recurring basis? have you read the Big Book and are now ready to take the steps? Do you have specific questions about the program of AA that you would like to discuss with someone?

from your posts, you seem quite undecided about any one path to take. perhaps a good place to start is working together with mental health professionals on a consistent course of action to treat your conditions - i'm unclear if you currently take any medications to treat your mental health but i understand they can be vital to help a person stabilize and make better life choices.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"They dont give a crap"

It's not about THEM.

It's about YOU
healing yourself.

It's not THEIR
job.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

River, I'm sorry you're feeling rejected.

You know you can always come here if you have questions about AA or the Big Book.

Have you considered looking for a new psychiatrist? That might be a good idea.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am not in AA but I have BPD as well and your right it is highly stigmatized within the psych community even. DBT has done wonders for many that suffer from this horrible illness. It was developed by someone who recovered from BPD and is the gold standard in treating it.It is also has the highest recovery rate among psych disorders when it was once thought to be un treatable . I have been sober 48 days now and can tell you it is night and day now that I am not drinking and drugging in terms of my symptoms. I have even started to work excercises out of the dbt book which has helped me a ton. I can tell you recovery from BPD is nearly impossible unless you stop drinking and trust me I know it is hell having this rollarcoster ride of a life but you can recover!
Old 06-27-2019, 04:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Was going to add seek a psychiatrist who is trained in DBT many are not and have old views of the disorder. There really is hope I was suicidal for years and goals shifted daily people were all good or bad. I really do empathize with what you are going through!