Notices

chronic pain bad...alcohol worse...right?

Old 06-24-2019, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

chronic pain bad...alcohol worse...right?

Have chronic pain in my jaw. It never stops. Alcohol is my go-to for just a bit of relief.

Today has been a particularly bad pain day. What's sucks is that I'm beginning to realize--no, internalize--that the alcohol is worse.

So I feel I have no recourse for when days like this happen. I so, so, so want to pickup right now.

I just composed a note, then deleted before posting and went and read others' posts and comments to those. I did get support from that but I kept seeing that people were writing about how important it is to post.

So here I am. Posting. And not drinking. Even though I so want to.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that you're dealing with so much pain. I assume you've tried things like ice and heat. Do you have a Pain Management Clinic in your area? I'm glad you decided to not drink.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna, feels like the jury is still out on the drinking. But your post definitely puts some bank in the non-drinking side of things. So thanks for that. I hate this struggle so much...
Old 06-24-2019, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi argi

I'm suffering nerve pain at the moment in my face - it's a constant burning - and after a few days it really gets you down.

The thing about drinking is tho - even if it works as pain relief (and it often didn't) its a transient victory and the pain returns which means you have to either reapply the 'medicine' or put up with the pain anyway,

Then there's that pesky alcoholic thing where, once I started to self medicate/drink, I needed more of the medicine more frequently...then I couldn't stop until I'd done a large amount of collateral damage to myself my life and my relationships.

I don't know what the answer is to your chronic pain but I'll bet you it's not at the bottom of a bottle.

You know it too

I really hope you find a effective and healthy way to deal with the pain.

D
Old 06-24-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can find a better way to deal with the pain.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh Dee, you could not have said anything better. I am so so sorry for your pain, but to know that someone out there understands from both the physical pain and alcohol-as-medication side of things brought tears to my eyes. Yes, the nerve pain, the burning...and yes, the consequences of the alcohol...that it's not always effective...that it's so transient and yet exacts such a tremendous toll...

Need to stop trying to live in the moment, in this particular case, and think not of present me, but instead of tomorrow me. Mostly, need to just shut AV off for tonight. Thanks Dee, and others who took the time to post, I think you just helped me make this Day 2. A true gift indeed.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Argillaceous, are you suffering from Trigeminal neuralgia? My uncle also has this intense pain in his jaw and has had the operation. There's nothing worse than nerve pain, it can truly knock you off your feet. If it is Trigeminal neuralgia, have you tried carbamazepine, it can really help. Alcohol will only leave you feeling even worse afterwards, pain and intense regret don't mix well.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad I could help Argi. I hope we both get relief soon

D
Old 06-24-2019, 05:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, Zamie, it's trigeminal neuralgia. But of the atypical type, where the pain has morphed from occasional stabbing, lightning-like pain to the constant burning pain. Yeah, nerve pain is unlike any other I've felt.

Have gone the medical route, for years. I'm in my fifth year of dealing with this, and my desperation has led me to the surgical options. I actually am finally having surgery (gamma knife) scheduled for this Friday. Keep your fingers crossed. If that doesn't work, the MRI shows a blood vessel pressing on the trigeminal nerve, and a more invasive, though riskier surgery, is an option. Is that what your uncle had? It's supposed to have better results, but it's the actual, you know, brain surgery thing.

Wow. Posting really does seem to help....let me amend that a bit. Posting does help, but what really helps is people writing. Thanks Zamie.

OK...some good news. I decided to indulge in pizza and my husband is going to get it now. And I didn't ask him to pick up wine or beer. Small victories. Though right now, that felt like a pretty big one...
Old 06-24-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes that's exactly what my uncle has. He's had the surgery and right now he's feeling pretty good. Believe me he was at a stage where he couldn't cope with the pain. I am crossing all my fingers and toes for you for your surgery on Friday.

I'm sure that once that constant unbearable pain is dealt with then you will find it so much easier to focus on your recovery.

Good on you for not grasping for a drink tonight. It's not a small victory, it's huge!

Don't ever under estimate your strength. The atypical trigeminal neuralgia is way more pain than most people have to deal with in their lives. You are an incredibly brave, strong person and I have the utmost respect for you and what you are going through.

Don't give up, you've made it this far. Big hugs your way lady! x
Old 06-24-2019, 09:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I also used alcohol for chronic pain.

I sympathize. But as dee said, I don't play nice with my medicine so I don't get it.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck tomorrow with your surgery argillaceous! I'm sure it'll make all the difference. x
Old 06-27-2019, 05:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Using alcohol as a sleep aid or to deal with chronic pain might work for a period of time, its a long term losing battle. I started drinking heavy at night to help me sleep. It worked....until it didn't.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes from me too Argi

D