Why is it so drawn out? Don’t hate me for this.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why is it so drawn out? Don’t hate me for this.

Maybe I’m a bad person, but I often wish that since A refuses to stop drinking, and he’s such a little bitch when he drinks, that he’d stop being functional and drink enough to result in a quick end. Just needed to say it out loud. Sorry if I offend.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

and what would his demise DO for you?
Old 06-15-2019, 05:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think you're a bad person, and I'm not offended.

So the A in your life refuses to stop drinking. You don't like being around him when he drinks. Is there no other recourse other than him drinking himself to death that offers you a happier future? Any options that only rely on YOU making changes, rather than anyone else?
Old 06-15-2019, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I’ve mentioned this before on here, but my ex had such a severe alcoholic withdrawal seizure she stopped breathing and nearly died in my arms 2 months ago. I have NC with her — but I do not wish harm, pain or suffering for her. With every cell in my body, I hope she one day finds sobriety and inner peace. I will always love her. And I wish the same for all those suffering with the pain of addiction and alcoholism. It’s torture for all involved... both the addict and the partner... or family. Sure, it was hell and oh did we fight... but I knew when it was time to leave the toxic cycle.

I learned from those on this forum... it’s OK to grieve... it’s OK to feel angry... it’s OK to feel hurt. Addiction is deeply painful. But when you aren’t moving forward... when you’re stuck in a toxic pattern... and you are wishing that the apparent source of your pain, re: your addicted partner and his issues would cease to exist — it’s time, in my opinion, to create a new game plan for your life.

Addicts already suffer and will continue to suffer if they remain active alcoholics or addicts. But I do not wish them further harm.

Just the other night I was reading the forum on here for alcoholics. I wasn’t emotionally ready to prior. But I could barely read the posts with all the tears collecting within my eyes. Empathy is always important, at all stages of life. Even empathy for oneself when you’re in the depths of despair.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pizza67 View Post
Maybe I’m a bad person, but I often wish that since A refuses to stop drinking, and he’s such a little bitch when he drinks, that he’d stop being functional and drink enough to result in a quick end. Just needed to say it out loud. Sorry if I offend.
You aren't the first person here to say that.

He is a separate person from you, he actually does have the right to drink as much as he likes, he even has the right to be a jerk (as long as he's not breaking any laws).

You have the right to not witness any of that by walking out the door.

He is annoying to you, I'm going to guess you two clash about his drinking? So if he said, I'm trying to have a quiet drink here, I wish she would walk out the door and get hit by a bus, would that be ok? He would be trying to solve a problem or annoyance by having you take the responsibility for his annoyance. Doesn't seem right somehow when he could just leave and go out or to another room.

There is a book that is often recommended here, it's Codependent no more - written by Melody Beattie. I'm not saying you are or aren't codependent, of course, but there is a lot of good information in there about boundaries etc.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to wish that all the time but I'm much better-- now it's only a few times a week.

C-
Old 06-15-2019, 09:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lashing out is totally understandable. I get it. It’s not about wishing him ill so much as wishing for a solution that would be unequivocal, quick, and not your fault. And since he seems to want to head down that path no matter what...

I’m sorry you’re dealing with so much pain. Sending you a hug.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In Al-anon I learnt that it is not unusual to hope the A in our life dies to give us release and peace.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have this thought all the time. I felt bad about it when I hadn’t left him, because I hadn’t done everything I could to make his conduct not my problem. But now that I’ve done everything I can to extract myself, and he still making me miserable because I have to coparent with him and he is intentionally trying to make that harder for me, I try not to feel bad about that.

God knows he isn’t going to die just because it would make my life easier. And there’s no getting around the fact that my kid will be in a more stable situation overall if and when it’s just me, and there will be no one standing on the sidelines of my life insisting everything that’s wrong with his life is my fault and my problem. I try not to beat myself up for feelings that are honestly pretty rational under the circumstances, are obviously not something I’m going to do anything about, and when my feelings don’t actually impact what’s going to happen. I mean, I try not to swim around in the thought ghoulishly, but I am allowed for feel how I feel about the person who has caused me more sorrow and anxiety than everyone else combined.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's not what he does, it's what you plan to do about it. Alanon can be a huge help in learning what our options are and giving us the strength to do what's right.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I thought that ffor a long time. If he dies, however, i will remain, and i will still have to deal with why I am in this situation, and what i need to do to avoid being here again.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I remember those days when those kinds of thoughts ran through my head. It was in the days where I was drowning in FEAR, OBLIGATION and GUILT. I didn’t see a nice, non-confrontational, comfortable or easy way out for myself. Al-anon helped me see and understand and accept that YES in fact I did have choices to remove myself from that situation. I certainly didn’t like any of those choices because it would mean I would have to face my fears, work through my sense of obligation and all of the guilt.

I’m out, I’ve stayed out I live a happier, healthier and more serene life today.