Notices

Back again. Only older and more addicted

Old 06-07-2019, 03:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again. Only older and more addicted

So I used to be Al31. The 31 was for my age. I’m now 34!

I left this website because I thought I could do it alone....

I remember posting on here about wanting to move abroad (I have) and meeting someone amazing (I have).

However quit alcohol 3 times last year. 2.5 months, 10 days and 2 months. Now my drinking is at it’s worse

I now drink on a morning (I am right now), get drunk before work and then more after. Got shakes in the mornings. When I have a drink I have no memory. My new boyfriend lifes in a different country (back in the UK and i’ve decided to move back there anyway next year). Anyway his Dad was an alcoholic, he’s already been through too much. I don’t remember what we’re discussed. Plus family relationships are at breaking point and my health is bad.

Anyway I don’t want to lose him. So tomorrow is the next day 1. Why can’t it be easy!! Anyway rant over
Old 06-07-2019, 03:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Al

Its not easy - but it's not impossible either - not if every thing you do reflects your desire to be sober and you make recovery your absolute no 1 priority...and that focus gets easier too

Glad you made it back

D
Old 06-07-2019, 03:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear your struggles. Getting yourself sober needs to come first. Everything else will work itself out one way or another. Maybe not even the way you want at first. However, after you give yourself some time to just focus on getting yourself spiritually, mentally, and physically right, you will be able to put in the footwork to get to where you want to be. Maybe you can find a.couple of good meetings to help get you started in that direction?
Old 06-07-2019, 04:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's not easy, but it's not as hard as spending one year in a college level math class either. I believe it is within everyone's grasp. Like the college math class, a good deal of determination is most helpful.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
It's not easy, but it's not as hard as spending one year in a college level math class either. I believe it is within everyone's grasp. Like the college math class, a good deal of determination is most helpful.
I'm glad you said this since I think I often overlook it. I get so interested in the spirituality and meeting new people and their seemingly effortless ability to live sober and all the talk of letting go that it seems like I should be coasting along, and usually do for a couple weeks. Then I'll get really down and isolated and just choose to drink. I might have had to white-knuckle it for a couple hours, which I could easily do, but won't make the choice to grind it out. I'm making a point to respond for the selfish reason that I want it to help me remember to be willing to dig in and protect my sobriety when the next craving hits (which hasn't been yet...Day 4)
Old 06-07-2019, 08:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In order to stay sober, you must want to be sober more than you want to drink. When you get to that point, you'll be able to stay sober.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Oh how i so can identify with the title of this post!! Everyone has mas made great statements. I have nothing epic to say. But if u really want this you will make it. No ones forcing u to drink, and no ones stopping u either. It has yo start with u.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’m Kiki26, and started this battle when I was 26. Im 34 now and have almost 9 months sober, you can do this! I wish I had quit when I was younger, but this is where my path took me, and I am grateful to be sober now!
Old 06-08-2019, 04:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I tried to quit on my own, too....

then I found this place and tried to quit.... for about 5 months.

Then I tried to moderate on my own....

Then I came back here and went to AA and did a bunch of other stuff to support my choice to embrace sobriety and I've been living sobriety for over 5 years.

Welcome back.

Stick around.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

About 4 years ago, I was about 9 days without a drink. I hadn't eaten anything because I was trying to lose weight for an upcoming competition.

I began to get light headed and almost crashed my car about 10 times trying to make it home. I had my young son in the passenger seat. Real horror show stuff.

I got extremely drunk that night and the next day was my day 1.

The damage from the off and on again drinking caused kindling. The years of drinks resulted in PAWS.

None of this is proven or documented anywhere. Even here, it doesn't count because I am not a Dr. My self diagnosis got me this clean.

I suffer/suffered mild to moderate drinking related PTSD. Again, self diagnosed.

Whether or not what i believe is true, I am still clean because of it. I believe it with all of my heart. I didn't (yet) need a Dr. to give me meds and diagnose me.

I don't want this in my records. It would change my world. Of course, relapsing would do the same thing. But, thanks to SR that will never happen.

I have role models and folks here that I have something to prove to. I know this may seem rediculous, but I use this place because I don't want...so and so... to tell me...sorry you relapsed...have you thought about AA, seeing a Dr., coming up with a new plan etc etc.

It seems funny, but I am talking about life altering effects if I relapse. I stay clean by any means necessary. I put on a happy and brave face, but sometimes inside I suffer like POW. I am a POW. The battle is with booze. My grace is God.

I am currently enjoying the sunrise, drinking my new DOC coffee, and gratefully still a non drinker.

Booze is poison. I don't believe the hype.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Checking on Al....I realized in my mid 30's also that drinking was killing me slowly and slowly stealing anything I valued.

Its good you have started the "thinking" process....You will get there....

Very hard to stop old habits...but you sound sick of being sick ...and I do believe you are getting ready to give not drinking a try.

Here for you.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You made it back, and that's important. Best of luck to you.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

How is Day 1 going Al? You don't have to go through it alone, we are here if you need some help.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
Checking on Al....I realized in my mid 30's also that drinking was killing me slowly and slowly stealing anything I valued.

Its good you have started the "thinking" process....You will get there....

Very hard to stop old habits...but you sound sick of being sick ...and I do believe you are getting ready to give not drinking a try.

Here for you.
I think it means SO much to hear this! Especially if you're surrounded by other heavy drinkers. My former friends often reacted with "yeah, right!" or "we'll see..." Here is a friend, dying, and so few people even want to give them the benefit of the doubt. And the worst thing for me was, I wasn't even sure if I believed it myself! But we can offer forward some of the compassion we've received, and look through all the doubt and fear and past mistakes to the divine core of the person that would never do anything ugly, and speak to that, and hope they get closer to their True Self as well!
Old 06-08-2019, 04:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not easy, but you can do hard things.