Notices

The time I most appreciate being sober

Old 06-05-2019, 05:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile The time I most appreciate being sober

Is?

For me is when I wake up in the morning.

I'm not full of dread....I'm not breathing fire....I do not have to worry about how I'm going to get to the liquor store or WHO I'm going to ask to go for me.

I look in the mirror and although my hair is a little messed up...my face does not look as aged as it does when I am on a binge...

My showers feel great instead of like a necessary job and I'm able to take one daily which while bingeing I would go days without a shower..

I get hungry in the morning now...instead of throwing up bile from the night before as I brush my teeth.

I can make plans for the day instead of feeling like a piece of **** and ignorning everyone and everything in my life.

My house is clean before I leave for the day and does not wreak of that stale alcohol smell.

I say "morning" to my cat instead of pushing by her..stumbling around to find something to wear to get to the liquor store when they open at 8am.

I can drink coffee again in the morning.

I open the blinds and let the sun shine in and I NOTICE the birds which when sober I love so much.

I have the energy to water my lawn and flowers before I leave for the day.

So I smile in the mornings now....

The crazy part is when the afternoon comes and I think maybe a drink would be a good idea....that is when it is time to "distract" or go to a meeting.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SWB

All of those things, so true. The mornings are definitely better.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

so true. as well as the ridiculous amnesia that kicks in.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations Missy! Your post made me smile, mornings are now one of my favorite parts too (and not dreading my husband asking me if I remember what I did/said last night).

Here's to many more sober mornings!
Old 06-05-2019, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I discovered, much to my surprise, that I am actually a morning person when sober. I get up really early, get stuff done before work if it needs doing, make lists to organize my day, enjoy coffee on my deck birdwatching. So much better than the old days of pure misery when trying to wake up and get moving. There's really no comparison.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I actually get to work an hour early now. Which is awesome because I can leave an hour early or get some overtime. I have an appetite in the morning and can eat some fruit and cereal. Coffee doesn't put my stomach in a knot.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fantastic post!!
Old 06-05-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love being hungry for breakfast! I skipped it most of my adult life and didn't eat till I was absolutely starving, then would eat junk food just for the taste. Now I can enjoy a basic breakfast and coffee and be ready for the day like all those "normal" people I used to scoff at while secretly envying.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Being present, all day everyday. Magic

D
Old 06-05-2019, 07:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I appreciate so many things, I but I guess what I appreciate most is not being a drunken idiot. When I see drunk people now, I feel such relief to not be in that state.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Waking up feeling good never gets old.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great post...was going to agree, it’s a m for me, the extra hour or so I get by waking earlier and refreshed and then rest of the morning which are free of the hangover.

But on reflection when I most appreciate being sober is time with the family, when our grown up children drop in for lunch, a cup of tea, birthdays, Christmas, when I do a running race of with my daughter, when my wife and I go to the theatre. I would none of these I had continued drinking.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Amen girl! I especially resonated with “can actually make plans and not feel like **** and ignore everyone and everything “

Keep up the wonderful work and these fantastic, inspiring posts!!
Old 06-05-2019, 10:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I relate to this so so much. My mornings were so full of dread. Trying to piece together what happened, that stomach turning dread, ugh I do not miss that.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What a wonderful post, thank you. I’m mostly just grateful to not wake up every morning hating myself.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Agreed, FinallyTime. I really hated myself for quite some time before I quit. I wasn't sure I'd ever get to a point where I could look in a mirror without almost crying, sometimes actually crying. The person looking back at me in those dark days was NOT who I was meant to be, and I knew it. I'd wake up sometimes and wish I hadn't, it got that bad.

Now, I still sometimes wake up and wish I hadn't, but it's completely different. It's because I actually SLEEP now, not pass out, and I love the feeling of my bed.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Agreed, FinallyTime. I really hated myself for quite some time before I quit. I wasn't sure I'd ever get to a point where I could look in a mirror without almost crying, sometimes actually crying. The person looking back at me in those dark days was NOT who I was meant to be, and I knew it. I'd wake up sometimes and wish I hadn't, it got that bad.

Now, I still sometimes wake up and wish I hadn't, but it's completely different. It's because I actually SLEEP now, not pass out, and I love the feeling of my bed.
"I love the feeling of my bed".

Oh me too! I remember before just being all twisted up in the sheets...sweating...hating myself...now I stretch out and take in the fresh smell of the sheets I wash frequently now!
Old 06-06-2019, 09:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The time I most appreciate being sober:

Out with friends, whether it be a pool party, or just dinner.....and not having to worry about how I'm going to get home.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
The time I most appreciate being sober:

Out with friends, whether it be a pool party, or just dinner.....and not having to worry about how I'm going to get home.
Don't have to worry about how your getting home, what is to drink when you get there...how you will feel for work.....etc.....Its a great feeling it really is....

But I have learned one not to be taken for granted...cause I tend to want to reward myself...for being sober by getting drunk...OH just ONE time....and it turns into a **** show.....LOL.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That was real nice to read and very relatable (altho i am only a week into being sober) i can honestly say falling asleep because im tired is the best feeling i have. For years upon years, i haven’t been falling asleep as much as passing out. I tend to get sleepy while reading the threads on here just before i fall asleep and its helping me focus on doing the right thing.