Notices

Spiritual Sabatical

Old 05-29-2019, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Spiritual Sabatical

Hey guys,
Man i have just been mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually exhausted for a while now. All these "life on life's terms problems" have just ground me down. I feel like i need a spiritual sabatical. I've got a good chunk of change saved up and feel like i can do it. It would be great to do some hiking, camping, meetings, work on my small biz and meet new people. I know this is kind of a retorical question but does anyone ever feel like they're stagnant and the spirituality meter is pointing to low. I can tell. I haven't been hitting meetings and i feel like i need to work the steps again. Trying to find another sponsor. I feel like a break will really do me well and get things back on track.
Hope everyone is having a good day!
Garrison
Old 05-29-2019, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Garrison,
I've felt the spirituality meter pointing low on occasion. When it does, I pray more to the God of my understanding. I think about how fortunate I am when things could be very, very different for me and not in a good way.
As Least says, I practice gratitude.

With you living (In what used to be, anyway) The New Age mecca of the U. S. there should be something close to recharge your spiritual batteries.
I lived in Denver for twenty four years. Got sober there over ten years ago.
If you're willing to travel there I can recommend a meeting at York Street. That's actually the name of the clubhouse. It's in an old Victorian on York between, if I remember correctly, 13th and 14th.
Can't go wrong there. Meetings all day and night. Lots of sobriety there.

Best to you and I do hope you find something to recharge those batteries.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know you miss the mountains Garrison - might be what you need for a recharge?

D
Old 05-29-2019, 04:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hear you! How lucky we are to have this sober day to be aware of those feelings..in that harsh light of what is true we can get tired. I am thinking of things I can do to be helpful..but also need to go quiet and find ways to revitalize. It’s nearly summer but I’ll brave it.

I hope that you enjoy your trip and come back feeling great.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nez

It took a new job to awaken me to the fact that the spiritual aspect of my recovery journey had been dwindling without me even being aware of it. The stress of the new job alerted me to the downhill slide in my spirituality.

I went on a spiritual sabbatical and chose to attend one in an advanced setting. That setting was life. Maybe not ideal...but then maybe it was... because I learned that I could practice while life happened, which has turned out to be an invaluable lesson to me going forward.

While it is undoubtedly easier for me to touch bases with my spirituality and recharge my batteries while sitting far in the back country by a lake high in the mountains (close to where I live and one of my favorite places on earth), my times that I can do that are limited. Learning that I can do that anywhere at any time was very empowering.

Hindsight is showing me that my sabbatical took place at the very best place and time because now I find it easier to fit my spirituality into the flow of life, rather than having to interrupt it.

My spirituality is always available to me 24/7, whether it be high in the mountains or in a cubicle. i just need to make a conscious effort to make contact. :~)
Old 05-29-2019, 09:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I need this so much too. Unfortunately, I have no funds so my yoga classes and naps are my sabbatical. I know in time, by staying sober, I will get the funds. My plan is to go to the western USA or maybe even South America to do a yoga, detox, meditation, vegan retreat. My soul and mind are exhausted and do need to get centered. There are many yoga retreats for all levels. Thanks for the post. Great ideas here for escaping the rat race in a healthy way. The last thing many of us need is an all inclusive, all you can drink vacation to rob our soul, I imagine I would even need weeks of a health detox to recover from that type, and I have no desire to go to that all inclusive type of nonsense.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes! Camping is my thing. Woods, water, bears. Food burned and or simultaneously undercooked, bad coffee. Nothing better for the soul. Resets the bio rythm. I said I was going to do a solo trip last year and never made it. I have a cowboy apartment in my horse trailer, but that isn't camping. (it has a keurig) I need to lay on the ground.
Of course, if it ever dries up around here... I hate mosquitoes and black flies and we live on the lake, so right now is midge season.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, I know that feeling well. It’s usually a sign I need to shake things up a bit...do something new that is good for the soul, or re-kindle an interest you’ve let slip for a while.

I also find that reaching out to someone else who might be struggling really helps me.

At the moment I’m into cooking healthy food every night for me and my family. It makes me feel better physically and mentally and they are enjoying it too!

Getting outdoors every day and exercising helps me too.

I’m sure you will find what works for you.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great advice everyone! I like what was said about practicing spirituality in our everyday life. I have a hard time doing that and sometimes think because i remain sober which i'm convinced is my life's journey then i should be able to take a vacation every few months. I guess we'll see!
Old 05-30-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that it helps a lot to practice spirituality, whatever that means to you, in our daily lives. For me, it's always connecting with nature, specifically a beach.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Water for me too Anna!