Brene Brown's Netflix special

Old 05-02-2019, 11:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Brene Brown's Netflix special

We watched this last weekend & it was a great way for my husband to be introduced to her work. (he's too impatient to read the books or listen to the audio)

I've read all of her books & listened to tons of interviews & podcasts so most of the content wasn't new to me but it was awesome to have it all organized in one place like this. It's a great way to get associated with her work & decide how/if you want to dive in further.

More than anything, I wanted the 3 of us to watch this so that we can come away with some shared language/ideas for communicating more effectively during stressful times & I think it helped with that quite a bit. She talks like a real person & that makes her & her methods relatable to me. When she illustrates points from her work she uses stories from her own life & her own language as examples & it's hard not to relate.

Anyone else watched it yet?
Old 05-02-2019, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've watched her TED talks.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't but I intend to, I looked at the preview!

Does that count?

: )
Old 05-02-2019, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Watching it right now, the call to courage. Will report back. Thanks for letting me know it was on Netflix.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lol trailmix - yes, that sorta counts, ha.

We are using her most recent book at my office. She has a printable workbook online to use along with the text from Dare to Lead (& other books). Even though we're a tiny firm, we've gotten a lot out of it so far. (we haven't done much, it's been our busy season)

Good stuff!
Old 05-03-2019, 06:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just saw that this is on Netflix and immediately thought of you! I plan to watch it this weekend, I was super excited to see it offered!
Old 05-03-2019, 12:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Was really excellent. Especially loved when she said "Don't take criticism and feedback from people who are not being brave with their lives".
Old 05-03-2019, 12:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for mentioning this, I will be watching in as soon as I can.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I’ve watched the special and also heard her on Tedtalk. Really like her style of sharing information in a sown to earth manner. She was also a recent guest on Marc Maron’s podcast, WTF. The format is more informal, less scripted, and conversational. Mandy Moore was also a guest a couple of months ago and they talk about toxic and co-dependent relationships. Worth listening!
Old 05-06-2019, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Piperdream View Post
She was also a recent guest on Marc Maron’s podcast, WTF. The format is more informal, less scripted, and conversational.
Thanks - I missed this one, but there's a link to it on her website.

Mandy Moore was also a guest a couple of months ago and they talk about toxic and co-dependent relationships. Worth listening!
I've been noticing how these topics are bleeding over into all kinds of interviews & forums. I was listening to a podcast for empaths last week & most would label it "woo-woo" but it was all about codependency, boundary setting & saying No.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Piperdream View Post
I’ve watched the special and also heard her on Tedtalk. Really like her style of sharing information in a sown to earth manner. She was also a recent guest on Marc Maron’s podcast, WTF. The format is more informal, less scripted, and conversational. Mandy Moore was also a guest a couple of months ago and they talk about toxic and co-dependent relationships. Worth listening!
Just circling back to say that I had a chance to listen to both of these episodes & they were great. I heard new stuff in Brene's interview that I hadn't heard before & that's very cool considering how much I've listened to, lol.

I've become a fan of the show overall - I really appreciate the recommendation!
Old 05-09-2019, 11:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi FireSprite! I am glad to hear that you had a chance to listen to the podcasts. I have grown to really like his podcast.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I loved the Netflix special and just after it came out she also appeared on the 10% Happier Podcast and loved that too.

I know I have some big, old, pieces that are ready to bubble up for me to start working on.....I suspect they are tied into vulnerability and courage. It is interesting because I am both excited and terrified for what this will bring but after being here so often before at least I can trust my process....and her research.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So many incredible quotes...

“I’m going to live in the arena. I’m going to be brave with my life. I’m going to show up. I’m going to take chances, and if you’re brave with your life, if you choose to live in the arena, you’re going to get your a*s kicked. You’re going to fall, you’re going to fail, you’re going to know heartbreak. Today, I choose courage over comfort.”

“Show up, be seen, answer the call to courage, cause you’re worth it. You’re worth it.”

She's fantastic. Such powerful words.

Inspired me to look back on my past relationship with more forgiveness for myself.