Notices

Day 3 - Back at Work

Old 03-27-2019, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 - Back at Work

72 hours into sobriety and I'm back at the office today. The day started out fine, I had breakfast and a cup of coffee. But inexplicably around noon I had a game changing four alarm panic attack for no specific reason. There was no real stressful situation at work, it's a very slow season for us. But thank GOD I had one of my Lorazepam from my doc here or else I could have been out the door for a six pack "cure" in no time.

Still feeling really shook up. UGH.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on day 3! Keep it up and it will get better. Panic attacks suck for sure.. I used to get them all the time. Once I stopped - the anxiety and panic attacks stopped too. It took a little time to get over the general anxiety, but I haven't had a panic attack in over a year.

Hang in there, it's worth it!
Old 03-27-2019, 12:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, great job on day three. Sorry about the panic attack, but glad you had a med. to help.
And, yes, they will lessen the more sobriety you get behind you.
Best to you in sobriety.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Yes, great job on day three. Sorry about the panic attack, but glad you had a med. to help.
And, yes, they will lessen the more sobriety you get behind you.
Best to you in sobriety.
Thanks! And I guess while I say Day 3 technically I guess it's only been 66 hours since my last drink. I was just trying to be positive thinking "Hey, I'm on day 3, I should be through the worst of the withdrawals now.." NOT SO FAST! Been really shaky and anxious all day, absolutely more so than yesterday. I see my doc again tomorrow and really want to report improvement, but today has been really hard for me.

Does anyone have any experience with withdrawal symptoms going from bad to better and back to really bad in the first few days of sobriety? Obviously not asking for medical advice as I will be seeking that with my doctor tomorrow..more just interested in personal experiences with this.

Thank you guys!
Old 03-27-2019, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Oh, ya, that happens early in sobriety and then there is PAWS that comes much later. (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome)
Old 03-27-2019, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh man, in my thirty year drinking career I had every form of withdrawal possible including the near life threatening. Was hospitalized twice because of liver problems.

So, yes, you may experience some uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms that go on for awhile.
I'm glad you're seeing your doctor. Be brutally honest about what's going on. Don't worry, they've heard it before.
You're doing all the right things to help you get through it and that's great.
I wouldn't worry about paws. I never experienced it. So take one step at a time and remember, you never have to go through this again.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anxiety is pretty normal SoberDad - it'll get better

D
Old 03-27-2019, 07:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You were home in a more controlled environment so it isn't surprising panic attack happened today.

It really does improve quickly as sober days add up.

Stay strong and you will get much better soon.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Anxiety is common in w/d. Stay sober no matter what. The anxiety goes away after you've been sober a while. It does get better.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberDad86 View Post
72 hours into sobriety and I'm back at the office today. The day started out fine, I had breakfast and a cup of coffee. But inexplicably around noon I had a game changing four alarm panic attack for no specific reason. There was no real stressful situation at work, it's a very slow season for us. But thank GOD I had one of my Lorazepam from my doc here or else I could have been out the door for a six pack "cure" in no time.

Still feeling really shook up. UGH.
Good for you with the Lorazepam that was a more healthy approach than booze. Having said that, I am curious in that in my experience, every compulsive addictive act is preceded, with or without conscious awareness, usually by a feeling of intolerable emotional helplessness. In my case hours or even days before I actually got wasted. I understand that you can't define it, but think carefully. This could be important in discovering circumstances in your life that you find overwhelming and lead to the quick fix or mood changer of drugs or alcohol.