Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Hired for a real estate assistant job where boss demanded I have a Facebook, Insta, e

Hired for a real estate assistant job where boss demanded I have a Facebook, Insta, e

Old 03-17-2019, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Applied on indeed.com as when I'm doing good I like mortgages and real estate. Immediately I smelled desperation as I just hopped off the plane during the gov't shutdown which I'm neutral with all that but it was not easy and I was on a Boeing.

. They wanted me in that day. I wanted to people please but I thought you have done that enough. The ad said 10-19 hours a week so i said the next day. I went in the following day and was hired. She was a female best dressed agent in Florida and the top 5% in the Presidents Circle. I was polite, excited, and things went downhall. She hired me and asked if I could start that day no offer letter, no drug test, no criminal background. She said we will figure that out. I said I did not anticipate being hired today I think Monday is better. She said ok but said you are required to attend an open house with me on Saturday or on Sunday with my other assistant. I thought this was weird but I'm in Florida I said yes ma'am I'll meet you tomorrow at the open house.
. I arrived one hour early to the open house, dressed like a professional for my non profit "job". She showed late with a camera crew to do a shooting at the house on the website of her company. She kept saying you got my bad side cut. Let's do over. I said it's an open house don't judge her just go with the flow.
only 2 people showed this made me feel bad she said " oh Joanna we like to have finger foods, small waters, cutlery, paper plates, napkins. Can you go get me napkins, 60 small waters, paper plates and napkins I'll kick you 5 bucks. I knew it would be around 30 dollars I had three in my bank account I said rich people never understand. I said sure no problem. It was 30 I overdressed to 65. I figured we would straighten it out on Monday w my receipts but it got worse. She said Joanna where do you plan on living once you save enough money. I said I put 200 down on an apt in Tampa I'm on the list to move in next month. She said working for me you can't live in Tampa it's way too much traffic. I said I have drove to jobs in Boston traffic you leave 2 hours early. She said get a refund I said it's non refundable.

I told her I signed up 60 dollars a month for yoga on the beach 8-9 am she said you need me more than yoga and I need you more than yoga. Then her assistant called and was like how do you like it? I said this is awesome she said great we put 10 hours on the ad but you will be at 50 by day two. I said yes ma'am.

this was the worst she said do you have social media? I said no. She was like you don't have a Facebook I said no I do not. She then showed me her personal Facebook and how to create one I said I have had a Facebook in the past but not now. She said well within 24 hours I need a fb, instagram, and linkelnd. I said yes ma'am. I then got the attack I asked if I could use the ladies room I sat on top of the toilet I deep breathed, I said the serenity prayer over and over again my leg was shaking uncontrollably. I calmed myself down and said I have been here a few hours and I don't have a computer I sold it before I left. Can I head to the library and start your requests. She said no problem. I called a Florida friend she said I'll do the social media you don't even have to look I'll block anyone who scared you. I also wanted to block basically all up north as this was a huge accomplishment.
. What do you know on Monday my first day on my way in my car went from cold to hot in 2 seconds. I said my car is all I have and this job isn't even guaranteed no offer letter nothing. I towed it immediately it was 3400 in expenses and no car for a week they had to repair the car and take the engine out. I never called her I sent a ty card for the opportunity but I'm still pursuing my job hunt and transition. I came down w about 4 k so I had to ask my mom for help she was infuriated yet told me not to take the job as the lady sounds like a diva and thinks she is Mariah. I did my best I could not uber there or lyft broke. I knew if I called she would be mad or think I'm lying. I got a 15 hour a week job at ten an hour and I have an eBay fashion store but it's at a standstill. Living in an extended stay putting clothes on a mannequin all day in the same place you shower, eat, sleep when there is a pool 5 feet outside my door but I can't go in. I knew this wasn't going to be easy but I'm happier here than at home. If it was a solid guaranteed job I would make a business Facebook and follow requests and have someone block everyone. Am I wrong for not taking the job I emailed her politely and asked if she could pay me back for the groceries. Satan came out I went out to bat for you, you stood me up. I said nevermind it's just a green piece of paper the gov't never stops printing it's ok I'm sorry I asked. She kept emailing me in a rage I said I could not get there without a car and no money for uber or lyft I sent you a card i am deeply sorry and I said never mind the groceries. Sometimes things don't work out for a reason. Still an empath i cried over this j let her down, she hates me, you showed you were poor by asking for help her ego is huge. Keep on keeping on. I can do this. Real estate companies/mortgage companies every 5 feet it's 160 to take the online course and I can be my own agent not a diva either. Would anyone else not want this job?
Ty
Old 03-17-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i am sorry, but your post makes no sense. i have no idea what you are saying or asking.............?
Old 03-17-2019, 06:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I also had a hard time figuring out what you were talking about. As far as the job, I knew just by the title of your post I wouldn't take it.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello hiall,

I think maybe chalk it up to live and learn. Sounds like she is not very professional or organized. I don't blame you for being uncomfortable around her based on your description of how she handled the work.

I hope you find a great opportunity soon. One day at a time!
Old 03-17-2019, 07:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well Hial, it sounds like you are doing the best you can. There are bound to be some downs. Keep taking the best care of yourself that you can and moving forward in what ever little way you can.

Big hug.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
i am sorry, but your post makes no sense. i have no idea what you are saying or asking.............?
It's ok I write long a diva narcissist real estate millionaire hired me and it went downhill fast and embarrassing for me. I tend to write as thorough as possible sometimes it's dragged out my empath nature feels bad for her but she does not care about me at all and I was nice. If you read it slowly one more time if you have the time that sounds disastrous and felt that way but I feel bad and people pleasing still. If you don't have time no worries 5 minutes at a time have a great day
Old 03-18-2019, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I also had a hard time figuring out what you were talking about. As far as the job, I knew just by the title of your post I wouldn't take it.
I apologize I just wrote to the above poster who didn't get it. Sometimes I write very long I need to write a best seller I'm still people pleasing I sent apology letters, ty for the opportunity and I got some rageful emails that hurt. It's just a stranger that wanted to hire me the job was not a good FIT a nightmare fit I know we are in trying times so I'm dwelling and feeling I could have done it when in reality I could not and I believe I was hired so fast because she has a high turnover and nobody can be her assistant as in her mind she is Mariah Carey.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Hial, you seem to be doing Olympic level work on yourself. Congratulations.

The words about your situation seem to pour out of you which is lovely. If you wanted to support us in supporting you, give your post a read over for editing before posting. Also you might to want to write it in a word processing program and then copy and past as the website of Soberrecovery is know for eating users' thoughtful messages when they post . . . .ugh . . . .

That being said, I'm going to say, the sorta opposite in that, if you are hanging by a thread, then go ahead and post whatever comes from head to fingers and onto the forum. Sometimes life can be so rotten that editing needs to go out the window . . . .we all have been there.

Courage to you brave human.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hiall, not every job is a good fit for everyone. It happens and that is life, I wouldn’t take it too personal. The good news is the unemployment rate is low so there should be an abundance of jobs out there.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Hey Hial, you seem to be doing Olympic level work on yourself. Congratulations.

The words about your situation seem to pour out of you which is lovely. If you wanted to support us in supporting you, give your post a read over for editing before posting. Also you might to want to write it in a word processing program and then copy and past as the website of Soberrecovery is know for eating users' thoughtful messages when they post . . . .ugh . . . .

That being said, I'm going to say, the sorta opposite in that, if you are hanging by a thread, then go ahead and post whatever comes from head to fingers and onto the forum. Sometimes life can be so rotten that editing needs to go out the window . . . .we all have been there.

Courage to you brave human.
thank you that made me feel better. I am writing a book "Can't make this up if you tried" to empower females. I'm scared I'm all alone in Florida in a notel w ptsd I was mean to a few people over last summer I didn't mean it the depths of depression and anger from relationships that could have end up death resulting sometimes you are mean to the wrong ones. I said I'm sorry I don't want to go back up north I just want to be happy something that is hard but I made it out of there against all odds be happy for that. You made me happy sometimes I'm on my droid as my laptop is off and I go in tangents. I appreciate your support.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hiall813 View Post
thank you that made me feel better. I am writing a book "Can't make this up if you tried" to empower females. I'm scared I'm all alone in Florida in a notel w ptsd I was mean to a few people over last summer I didn't mean it the depths of depression and anger from relationships that could have end up death resulting sometimes you are mean to the wrong ones. I said I'm sorry I don't want to go back up north I just want to be happy something that is hard but I made it out of there against all odds be happy for that. You made me happy sometimes I'm on my droid as my laptop is off and I go in tangents. I appreciate your support.
I do hope you find support here. Many on this forum are pretty wounded so interaction can go south on occasion.

It is possible to block individuals and they may block you too. Unfortunately that can be the only positive thing to do.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Eh, whatever. I think you tried your best and the fact that you apologized and sent a card, that's good enough.

If the lady is still sending you mean emails, block her.

Good luck on your job search!
Old 03-25-2019, 02:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yikes, you dodged a bullet

Hang in there.

There are a lot of nice people in the real estate business, but it does attract a lot of greedy/desperate get-rich-quick types.

And this one I think sensed your desperation.

Can I say with kindness, there is a way to use assertiveness in times like this. So for instance when she said, 'Pop out and get food,' maybe something look at her expectantly and say, 'Sure, you have some petty cash or a company card? I'd spot you myself but haven't got the spare cash this week.'

Having a car break down on first morning was bad luck but there is a way to get ahead of things like that. Like call her right away and say,' This is crazy but.. ' And then offer to do work at home etc.

Yeah she was never going to be a good employer so just chalk it up to experience!