Notices

Newbie Here

Old 03-11-2019, 10:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie Here

Hello everyone,

I am a new member here. I decided, after battling with the acceptance that I have no control over my alcohol use, to seek support in this new chapter.

I understand that I am very green, but of course I have my own struggle and story and it is a long one.

Open to making acquaintances, friends, support partners, anything to help me. I really appreciate finding out about this site and forums.

Thank you
Old 03-11-2019, 11:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome again NicLin

My advice is to read around, see what others are doing, ask as many questions as you need to - give yourself as many alternatives as you can to taking that next drink

We have a support thread every month for those quitting in that month - Our March support thread is here.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-one-10.html

To join all you need to do is post in the thread

Its not compulsory to join or anything like that but a lot of folks have found the support useful
D
Old 03-12-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome! It's great to have you here.
I had lost all control over alcohol myself, so I know where you're coming from.
It's great that you've accepted that fact. That's a big step I recovery.
I found I can never safely drink. It took me a long time to find this out, but I drank for a very long time.
You'll fid others here who understand, so you're in the right place and we're glad to have you.

So post away. I'd love to hear your story and anything else that's on your mind.
You'll find people here o different stages of recovery, but we're all here to help one another.
I'm glad to have you here, and don't be shy about posting whatever's on your mind.
Best to you in sobriety.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, NicLin!

Accepting that you can't drink alcohol is a first step towards healing. As Dee said, take a look around and I think you will be inspired to do this.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-12-2019, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to our wonderful and supportive family of sober weirdos.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

me toooo

[QUOTE=NicLin;7142244]

Hey i am new to0, literally just finished the signup process.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-12-2019, 06:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. I credit SR for a huge part of what helped me get sober. This is a great place.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Welcome to SR.

I'm trained as a somm (WSET level3) but never worked as one, although I was interviewing with wine distributorships near the end of my drinking career.

Don't miss drinking wine in the slightest...but it took a bit of time. Nearly 3 years sober. My last binge cost thousands of dollars because I drank most of my collection.

I hear ya.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow, I have such a similar story to you MindfulMan,

I took my Court of Master Somm courses, got a degree in Wine and Beverage and worked in nearly every aspect of the wine industry (surprisingly, I never over drank at "work", mainly in the privacy of my own home or with close friends, strange, maybe I never wanted them to see I had an issue?). I then switched to the craft beer industry and my entire life imploded; I lost almost everything, parts due to drinking, parts not, in one year.

I hit a breakdown period and began to over drink and isolate more and more. I then realized that I had no other choice than to admit there was an issue. I promised myself a 'dry' 2019 New Year for the whole year and had a WINE FUNERAL, where I invited all of my friends to celebrate with me (ha.) and drink ALL of my wine collection. It should have never been a celebration and I should have sold it. I don't regret it though because I can't be in that frame of mind.

So you've got a friend here that is trailing you on that experience. Any guidance from you would be so helpful. Thanks so much for sharing!

Nic

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Welcome to SR.

I'm trained as a somm (WSET level3) but never worked as one, although I was interviewing with wine distributorships near the end of my drinking career.

Don't miss drinking wine in the slightest...but it took a bit of time. Nearly 3 years sober. My last binge cost thousands of dollars because I drank most of my collection.

I hear ya.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to you too Brett

D
Old 03-13-2019, 10:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I came here by accident looking for somewhere where I could find support and advice, but also where I could share my own experiences to maybe help others.
I admitted I was powerless over alcohol last September, was sober for a few months then relapsed in January this year. My mistake was thinking I was ‘healed’ and that I could control my drinking. I was wrong and fully accept now that I am completely powerless over alcohol.
I use SR to read as much as I can, so I can constantly remind myself of the dangers of drink, as well as the wonderful benefits of a life without it. I find particularly helpful when I’m alone and have cravings and am struggling. I go to AA meetings as well, but do find this a more flexible support around my work.
Best of luck, and great to have you here!
Old 03-13-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

welcome