Notices

Support for families of Teen user?

Old 03-04-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kdg

Support for families of Teen user?

Hi Everyone,
i am looking for advise and experiences with helping a 15 year old who currently doesnt really see any drawbacks to drug and alcohol use. Are there any teens here in recovery or anyone who attempted recovery as a teen?
Thanks!
Old 03-04-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a link for AlaTeen which should be helpful:

https://al-anon.org/for-members/grou...urces/alateen/
Old 03-04-2019, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Kdg, I have not had this experience and I hope I never have to. I have a tween. I hope you find support at the Alonon/alateen site!
Old 03-04-2019, 08:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kdg

Thank you

thank you Anna
Old 03-04-2019, 08:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kdg

Originally Posted by Fearlessat50 View Post
Hi Kdg, I have not had this experience and I hope I never have to. I have a tween. I hope you find support at the Alonon/alateen site!
hi Fearless, thanks for replying. I also hope you do not have this experience. My boyfriend's son has gone off the rails and it is heartbreaking. Hard to lnow what to do, where to start, what boundaries to hold. I am checking the alateen site now.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can tell them that 13 years later I am in rehab if that helps? I didn't listen to my parents. I have to rebuild my life from the bottom of a freaking hole. I am now 30 years old and I am in so much debt and my health is jacked.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kdg

Originally Posted by Robert88 View Post
You can tell them that 13 years later I am in rehab if that helps? I didn't listen to my parents. I have to rebuild my life from the bottom of a freaking hole. I am now 30 years old and I am in so much debt and my health is jacked.
Robert thanks for reply. He is already in pretty deep from what we guess started last summer. Do you think there was anything that could have reached you? I am glad you are pulling your way out of the mess now.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kdg View Post
Robert thanks for reply. He is already in pretty deep from what we guess started last summer. Do you think there was anything that could have reached you? I am glad you are pulling your way out of the mess now.

Honestly, I had to figure it out on my own. That is that hard thing about it. I didn't listen to anyone. I went to rehab for myself this time. You have to want it.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kdg

Honestly, I had to figure it out on my own. That is that hard thing about it. I didn't listen to anyone. I went to rehab for myself this time. You have to want it.
thanks Robert. I told my boyfriend i though he (and likely me along with him) was in for 15 years of hell when we learned about it. Unfortunately your experience pretty much matches my comment.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kdg View Post
thanks Robert. I told my boyfriend i though he (and likely me along with him) was in for 15 years of hell when we learned about it. Unfortunately your experience pretty much matches my comment.
I am sorry.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Kdg, try not to get ahead of yourself and think the worst. I know it is so hard! Surround yourself with support and resources to help, know what you can control and let go what you can’t. Take it one day at a time.

Robert, I’m glad you are making changes for yourself now, and not for anyone else. You are still young, you can still rebuild your life. It may be a slow process but it will be so worth it! Be patient with yourself and keep moving forward, don’t look back. Hope to see you around here!
Old 03-05-2019, 11:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah, anything can happen. I am just a worse case scenario, I guess. Just do not push them away in my opinion. My family pushed me away and I thought that they had abandoned me. So I think that is why it took me even longer to get the help that I needed.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, anything can happen. I am just a worse case scenario, I guess. Just do not push them away in my opinion. My family pushed me away and I thought that they had abandoned me. So I think that is why it took me even longer to get the help that I needed.
I’m sorry. I hope you can reconnect with your family. SR is a very supportive community as well. I know it’s not the same as your family but it’s a good second
Old 03-05-2019, 11:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kdg

Fearless thank you for your kind words. I am indeed getting ahead of myself. I have done that before and funny thing, often it doesnt turn out how I expect and is usually not as bad. I read your note this morning and it was very calming.

Robert I dont think you are a worst case scenario at all. You are giving hope and i really appreciate it. You are digging yourself out of the hole and that is great. I too am glad you made this decision for yourself.