I rang al-anon.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I rang al-anon.

I did it. I rang al-anon. And they were lovely and understanding. And now I am crying in my car because i feel like i have to pack a backpack to climb an enormous mountain. I know I will need sunscreen, sun hat, snow boots, an emergency beacon, clothes, snacks, chocolate, coffee, a note book, a phone, phone charger, thermal underwear, water, raincoat, binoculars. Its going to be so heavy and i dont know if i can do it. The journey of 1000 miles begins with one small step. I rang al-anon so I suppose I just stepped forward. Just doesn't feel like it.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

((((hugs))))
Old 02-18-2019, 05:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

The backpack is already packed, selected just for you by Higher Power/Universe/God/Great Spirit with everything you need. Lightweight. Waterproof. Filled with good surprises.

Whether you believe or not (athiests and agnostics welcome), good things come from taking these steps. We're not alone. Many of us are going through this --- and finding happiness, whether the alcoholic is still drinking or not.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
The backpack is already packed, selected just for you by Higher Power/Universe/God/Great Spirit with everything you need. Lightweight. Waterproof. Filled with good surprises.

Whether you believe or not (athiests and agnostics welcome), good things come from taking these steps. We're not alone. Many of us are going through this --- and finding happiness, whether the alcoholic is still drinking or not.
mango212 - hugs back at ya!! And there are automatic filling stations on the way, right? I didn't see tbis perspective before, so thanks. X
Old 02-18-2019, 09:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your reply is so cute wombaticus, don't forget your pack of tissues.

What is it about al-anon that makes everyone cry?

Well I'm going to hazard a guess, it may be two things.

One, you had to pack the backpack because you know all these things have to be face.

Two and I think this is really it and perhaps the most important, you find people and you just KNOW they want to help and they know exactly what you are going through. The tears are probably mostly relief.

I'm happy you found them (and they get the benefit of knowing you too!)
Old 02-18-2019, 11:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post

One, you had to pack the backpack because you know all these things have to be face.

Two and I think this is really it and perhaps the most important, you find people and you just KNOW they want to help and they know exactly what you are going through. The tears are probably mostly relief.

Thanks trailmix. Spot on. I think crying comes because someone understands and genuinely cares. Many of us have been the carer for others and the strong ones. I love this forum because I know we are all trying to support each other through a very hard journey. I read a post a few days ago from a lady who was moving out, divorcing and charting her own course. Gives us all hope when we post in an absolute mess. All that we ate feeling is quite normal.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Once you get going the relief will be huge.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It sounds like you've reached a point of surrender & that's big.

But empty the backpack; you'll never be able to fully prepare for whatever rears it's ugly head anyway. Those old tools didn't work, but the new ones you'll learn along the way will overflow that pack without all the weight on your shoulders.

Have Faith that what you need will appear when you need it & it will. I truly believe this & have found it to be 1000% true across the board for me.

It's okay to break down in order to rebuild; that's not weakness - it's True Strength. Go ahead & cry until you're ready to be done, it's cathartic & cleansing. We have ALL been there, many times.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's one day at a time, not a marathon journey. Best of luck!
Old 02-22-2019, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is good

Hi Wombaticus,

How are you today? Do you have plans for going to a meeting?
Old 02-22-2019, 03:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
Hi Wombaticus,

How are you today? Do you have plans for going to a meeting?
Hi mango. It starts in about an hour. Will let you know how it goes. X
Old 02-23-2019, 07:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post

I think it's several things. Walking into that room is making the admission to yourself that things are seriously wrong, your upset and pissed that you have to be there at all, and the support is wonderful. It's also embarrassing when all those emotions hit
you, and strangers see you cry
Old 02-23-2019, 07:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wombaticus View Post
Hi mango. It starts in about an hour. Will let you know how it goes. X
please do.