Notices

another newbie

Old 02-18-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

another newbie

Hi,

I was on this forum a long time ago. It helped then, so I'm hoping it helps again. I have a problem with binge drinking. I drink alone usually, although occasionally with other people. I can't stop at one or two, or at least it is very very hard.

Disgusted with myself today bc Friday I drank, then yesterday went out with friends and was going to only have 1 drink. yeah famous last words.

It was a long weekend here and I feel frustrated that I wasted it either drunk or hungover.

I will be honest and say I have very conflicted feelings about drinking. I'm an introvert and don't have much in the way of close friends or family, and I can drink and maintain my job. So it's hard to see why I should stop sometimes. But I have a lot of goals to try to be healthy- ironically the rest of my life- I eat well, exercise well, I'm kind of fanatic about trying to be healthy, but then that one day of the week I drink myself silly and then it affects my other healthy goals.

I've wanted to stop/slow down for a while and just can't do it. So I am taking the extra step of coming here. I'm not making any grand long term goals. My goals are one day at a time. I don't want to drink today. Or tomorrow, or the next day. And see how far that gets me. I know I will have to make plans to help deal with cravings.

Anyway I had to get all of that off my chest and say I'm so disappointed with myself today but coming here is part of trying to do something different. Thanks for reading if you made it this far

What else about me? I'm Canadian. I love baseball and very excited spring training games start next weekend . Also very excited for winter to end anytime now lol.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well don’t set yourself up, winter in Canada probably won’t end anytime too soon, but you can stop drinking today.

I know that spring training is so exciting though; it’s the sign that it will inevitably end, as long as they keep playing ball.

Watching the games sober is way more fun, too, if you are actually excited about the game.

It sounds like you know what to do. Welcome back. I hope you stay close and stick around.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome back itsmaria

One of the best reasons to quit when you feel ambivalent is the fact that alcoholism is progressive - you don't know here you might be in 5 years - or if you'll still have your job, your house, your car.

You will almost certainly find your health suffers the more years you drink.
A lot of those conditions can be reversed - but only if you stay sober.

If you continue privilege drinking over making human connection, the chances are you're going to feel even more lonely than you do now.

I don;t know how long ago it was you were here last but seems you've already given a lot of years to drinking.

Don't give it anymore.

D
Old 02-18-2019, 03:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome back! I am ready for spring too.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I hope you can stay sober this time. Drinking only gets worse, never better. I've never woken up sober and wished I had drank the night before.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad to meet you, Maria. There's plenty of encouragement to be had here.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome from a fellow Canadian (also hoping to see Spring soon )

I'm glad you found us and that you recognize that controlling/cutting back on drinking doesn't work. It's actually much easier for alcoholics to stop drinking completely than to try to moderate.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of the support! I'm glad I came back, and today is almost over and starting fresh to tomorrow.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome

keep posting

support to you