Notices

Back Again

Old 02-18-2019, 04:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
30yrdrunk

Back Again

I was sober for 18 months ending July 2014. I was on a golf outing for a work event with some work acquaintances I didn’t know to well. Resisted during the round of golf (not a golfer BTW) but had a couple of beers at the reception afterward. I was able to moderate for a brief period but my old drinking habits soon returned. I am a binge drinker. When the time and place are right I drink ferociously. I have suffered numerous negative consequences as the result of my drinking. In the past few years I’ve has some more
wicked arguments with my wife, caused/exacerbated by drinking. I’ve suffered more painful hangovers/withdrawals after stringing together 2 or 3 days on holidays. My kids now aware of me drinking neighborhood parties and acting different. Overall, just depressed and miserable. Periods of happiness as I have a lovely wife and family. Just not free; trapped by the same self destructive behavior. I’ve repeated that his pattern since I was 15yrs old. Sadly, I’ve sabotaged the 35 yrs of my life. The life of the party not living up to my true potential - not fully enjoying life as I should have.

I have know been sober since January 2nd. I have discussed my decision with my wife and friends who I’ve seen. Made it through a work trip the prior weekend away for a few days (different job since my relapse). It was a tough trip as literally only a handful of the 177 in attendance weren’t drinking. Was
literally returning to the scene of the crime as my drinking was definitely noticed on the same trip last year. I am turning 50 this year and I am determined to
do so sober. I want this to be a terrific year with my wife and family. Alcohol has always been holding me back and I am determined not to live this way anymore.

Last edited by 30yrdrunk; 02-18-2019 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Cut off
Old 02-18-2019, 04:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back, 30yr.

Question — does this go around feel different? Or your mindset different? What are your strategies for really making this the last time? I ask because I’m still developing mine so it’s been helpful to hear others.

Thanks for sharing and congrats on the sober time so far!
Old 02-18-2019, 04:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
30yrdrunk

Definitely, feel stronger this time around. I am foucising on trying to build a better sober life than the one I had while drinking.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

D
Old 02-18-2019, 07:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 30yrdrunk View Post
Definitely, feel stronger this time around. I am foucising on trying to build a better sober life than the one I had while drinking.
This is my recovery plan condensed to a simple description. I had a couple of failed sobriety attempts in the past because of my flawed thinking: stop the drinking, stop the problems. I didn't put it any work, my life didn't magically get awesome, I would get "bored" one weekend and repeat the same vicious cycle over again.

When I got sober this time I made a list of everything in my life that sucked and started tackling them one by one: practicing forgiveness, examining my relationship with God, getting physically fit, quitting smoking, becoming debt free, meditating every morning, demanding and receiving a promotion at work, and so forth.

I have zero desire to drink anymore. Honestly I feel like I need to pinch myself sometimes because I can't believe I get to live the life I do. I just needed to put the work in.

Best of luck to you in your journey.