Notices

Day 1

Old 02-17-2019, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hi vomited a lot last night was unable to go to work today.

Reading some posts today I see others really struggling to get sober.

I dont think hunk I can cope with AA meetings I have found them stressful. Although AA literature I do find helpful and there is a lot of good information.

I would like some help with a simple plan to follow to keep me sober for 7 days. This I feel is an achievable goal.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe just look at 1 day at a time. What happens after 7 days? Will you drink again? I don't mean to sound harsh but know when I put time scales on it then I just pick up when that time period expires.

There are loads of threads about plans and loads of ideas have been given to you before. what is different this time ? Pick something that you CAN do. Maybe focus on what you can do not what you can't,
Old 02-17-2019, 04:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

7 days is s big rugby match in UK that I feel would be a trigger.

I need a simple recovery plan.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, that's what I mean though. will you drink on 7 days? maybe avoid the rygby match. I still think we have to just do this one day at a time, especially at the beginning. Maybe post on here when you think of drinking. Stay on here all the time if needs be. Can you take sick time off work?
Old 02-17-2019, 05:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Never drinking again is an achievable goal, you just have to make it your number one goal in life. Half effort measures don’t work with this disease.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I could take time off work but it would cause me problems.

I will I’ll read as much as I can on this site. I am aware the rugby match will be a trigger so I can plan for it. To be honest I will probably avoid it.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Try to remember how sick you are on Day 1 and replay that vomit scene in your head everytime you think about picking up a drink. Is it really worth it to poison yourself again?
Old 02-17-2019, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just remember to stay close to your supports. This site is a great way to stay grounded in sober reality and remind you of where drinking brings you and why you are going sober.

I know myself that when I lose touch with my supports it is usually when I start my cycle again.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The simplest plan I have ever had was this: day 1-7, don't drink.

Following the plan is the hard part.

And based on your struggles with trying to put together any # of days I would "plan" on not going to the rugby match.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think not going to the rugby match would be a good plan, HC.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

A simple recovery plan

Avoid people drinking - worst case scenario go sleep and recharge

Don't think about 765432 days lets just focus on today let's keep it streamline simple let's get through today here with us whenever you need it HC
Old 02-17-2019, 09:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Highercall View Post
7 days is s big rugby match in UK that I feel would be a trigger.

I need a simple recovery plan.
The simplest one I’ve found is to not drink alcohol.

In order to do that I had to accept that I cannot and will never be able to drink alcohol without consequence. There’s a lot of different ways to go about that, but at the end of the day the responsibility is yours. AKA, Whether the plan is simple or not, it won’t work it you don’t follow it.

Get rid of any alcohol in your house. Don’t buy any more. Don’t go places where you will be tempted for a whole. Those are simple things. Maybe not easy but simple.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe its time to consider rehab HC?

D
Old 02-17-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I would like some help with a simple plan to follow to keep me sober for 7 days. This I feel is an achievable goal.
Sorry I'm confused.
Are you planning to stay sober for 7 days only or make a life commitment?
Old 02-17-2019, 05:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I could take time off work but it would cause me problems.

I will I’ll read as much as I can on this site. I am aware the rugby match will be a trigger so I can plan for it. To be honest I will probably avoid it.
Do you not already have problems due to the amount of work you have missed? Seems like a few of your posts I’ve read talk about missing work due to hangovers etc. I’ve been there too and I just knew there’d be a point if I carried on that way I would lose everything. I say avoid the rugby match. You need a plan in place and to be thinking bigger than 7 days...

I say keep posting here and avoid those situations. If AA is not for you then find out what is. I’ve found posting and reading on here very helpful. Exercise keeps me sane also and has been an amazing help in me staying sober!
Old 02-17-2019, 05:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Maybe just look at 1 day at a time. What happens after 7 days? Will you drink again? I don't mean to sound harsh but know when I put time scales on it then I just pick up when that time period expires.

There are loads of threads about plans and loads of ideas have been given to you before. what is different this time ? Pick something that you CAN do. Maybe focus on what you can do not what you can't,
Seconded.

Highercall I’ve hit several short-term goals to stop drinking: 7 days, 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 7 months last year. At the end of those time periods I never stopped being an alcoholic.

Short term goals weren’t enough.

Why do you only feel like 7 days is achievable? If it were me, that’d be my AV (my addiction voice) screaming at me that once I weather that particular bout with alcohol poisoning I’ll be able to drink again.

You aren’t doing yourself any favors by allowing a “drink at the end of the tunnel.”

First step though, your body needs to heal. You need to heal. But listen to this crowd — we’re not coming down on your 7-day plan because we’re mean.

It’s because we’ve all been there.

Get well, Highercall, and keep posting.