Notices

Forced into quitting- thankfully

Old 01-09-2019, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Forced into quitting- thankfully

I’m currently 7.5 days sober. I guess you can say I was forced into quitting. Although I am thankful for finally being able to go more than a few hours without a drink, the reason was not so fun. I went to the emergency room for high blood pressure- which I’ve not had until that point. So, I felt like crap while hospitalized for both reasons I am sure. I asked to go home after the first day, thinking I really needed to get home and have a drink to relax. Thankfully they had me stay another day for tests regarding my high BP. I did not tell them about my deep need for alcohol.

So, when I made it home, I was so exhausted and glad to have gone 2.5 days without anything, I decided this was my chance. I haven’t been that long in probably 15 years. I had gone from drinking wine at night to starting in the morning drinking vodka and ending up at night drinking wine. I truly hated it and wanted so bad to slow down. I never even considered stopping cold turkey. I’ve been counting every day- sometimes every hour. I was so happy to get to the 7 day point.

My husband had no idea how much I was drinking. He knew I had wine each night but not the other. I’ve told him that I just haven’t had a taste for it since I came home. I didn’t have a taste for anything so I’m sure it made sense. I’ve decided I will tell my friends and family that I am just not partaking because of my BP and the medications.

I’ve been kind of depressed and weepy but I didn’t know whether it was the medication or being sober for the first time in a long time. I went to the movies yesterday and had to face the obstacle of not taking a water bottle with vodka in my purse. I was happy to make it through that. When I think back on how many situations I carried alcohol in my purse or with me on trips, I realize I was quite ingenious. I’m hoping I can use that for something more positive now.

Can someone tell me if most of the WD symptoms will be out of my system at this point or do I have more to look forward to.

Really glad I found this forum.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

HY, Welcome to the family. When I've gone thru withdrawals, it was usually over after several days to a week. If you have any medical/physical concerns, please see your doctor.

I suggest you use this forum as support, post and read often. And if you get the urge to drink, post here to tell on yourself so we can talk you out of it.

Congrats on the first of many sober weeks!
Old 01-09-2019, 06:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Everybody is different. For me,after a few days drinking 'just enough' from morning-night and a couple 'black out nights', It'd take me about 4-5 days to not feel any physical symptoms. Mental 'fog' would take me around 10days. Then I'd feel better and do it all over again.. Glad to be off that 'merry-go-round'. Best thing I've ever done for myself(aside from my divorce 18yrs ago )
Old 01-09-2019, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Hope,

All I really know is booze is poison. It altered and damaged my brain to the point that i was going insane.

It has taken this long to get this well. Relapse and I take steps back.

Dealing with life sober is how I was designed, but I never really learned how.

That is where I am.

This booze thing is as serious as a heart attack.

We are all lucky to have found sr.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome and congratulations on seven days, that is great.
I, too, used to carry booze with me wherever I went. I thought I was being pretty sly. It was pretty sad, really.
I also started drinking in the morning, only my poison was whiskey. At eight am, then beer from there. Until I reached my cheap vodka phase, which many alcoholics do, and started on that. Man, I hated the taste of that swill.

I was a full blown alcoholic by then. And couldn't quit no matter what I tried myself.
Maybe consider yourself blessed because you are forced to quit?
I hope you can stay sober and stick around here. You'll find a lot of support.
Best to you.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 7 days! Glad you came here. This is a great supportive group. It took me a week or so for the physical withdrawals to be over. But I also had some nerve damage from years of heavy drinking that caused neuropathy. This finally went away as well but it last 3 months!

The emotional part was harder. It took several months to a year to feel like Ihad stabilized. Up to that point, air had a lot of depression and mostly anxiety. I went to therapy and started yoga and meditation and it all helped. I really had to get to the root of my drinking and change myself to stay sober.

I’d suggest start thinking about a long term plan. Most of us here have used more than one support system to stay sober.

I carried water bottles with alcohol too!

Hope to see more of you here.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi hopefull. I hope you grab this opportunity to stay sober with both hands and do not let go !!!
Old 01-10-2019, 01:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you for your nice replies. I know this will be a great place to go when I am experiencing more of the social things that will be coming up in the future. Right now, because of my BP and being in the hospital, I haven't had to do much out in public. I know those situations will come soon enough.

Tonight it's 4:30 AM and I was awakened by a horrible dream that my daughter had been kidnapped. This is my third anxiety dream this week. Like I have read other say, I barely dream. I wish it could be something pleasant. Last night, I dreamed that I was at a big family function and I was in the kitchen under the cabinets and saw a big bottle of vodka. I was trying to figure out how to sneak it out without anyone see it or at the very least pour a drink. Someone kept coming in. I wonder what causes the dreams to be bad. When do I get pleasant dreams again?
Old 01-10-2019, 02:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Hopeful - glad you are here.

If your 77 is for your birth year, then we are about the same age. I'm a year older, at 42 and change.

I had too many health scares and hospitalizations along my drinking career and they didn't stop me. I didn't take the "forced" start those times and start a sober life. I got to the point I had to choose to live - quit drinking- or die in the year, 18 mo a doctor I finally listened to predicted.

I hope you take this start as a real one - your health simply won't improve, though it might stabilize temporarily, if you keep drinking. The social stuff and everything else can - I'd say should- come after the end of drinking.

SR is great support- I'd suggest looking at the Class of Jan 2019 thread under Newcomers - and reading about alcoholism, too. A good book on the beginning of sobriety, the first year actually, is Living Sober. It's not the easiest thing to do, of course- but the sooner you do it the better.

Hope to see you here.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 8.
Things I am thankful for today.
1. Being sober for 8 days.
2. Not have to make a morning run to the liquor store. I usually did that on Friday and would rotate stores so the clerks didn't see me so often. I would literally have to sneak out and tell my husband that I was going to pick up something small. When I returned home, I would have to sneak the bottles into the bedroom and hide them.
3. Being able to drive at any time during the day or night.
4. A husband that doesn't drink and never has.
5. The money I'm saving.
6. Not having to travel with a bottle in my purse.

I'm sure there are more but that's a good start for day 8.
Hope
Old 01-10-2019, 12:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You will find lots of support on here.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on eight days. You're off to a great start.
Taking an inventory about your drinking is a great idea.
I rotated liquor stores, too.
I even rotated dumpsters so the garbage man wouldn't know I was a drunk.
Sweet sobriety. Keep it up, it only gets better.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats and welcome to SR HopefulYear

D
Old 01-10-2019, 04:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yay congrats on day 8! Take this opportunity and run with it

Exactly the same as you I would fill up water bottles with alcohol. Part of my morning routine was filling a bottle with vodka and some sort of clear mixer to take to work with me every day. I would always keep my bag on me and sometimes sneak away to the toilet through the day. If I ran out I'd go to the store across the road on my lunch and buy more and sit in the store toilets on my break. Sometimes I'd even drink on the bus home, thinking I was fooling everyone because it was in a flavoured water bottle. It wasn't even that long ago and I'm sitting cringing thinking of it now. Deep down I really think I couldn't have been fooling anyone. I highly doubt brushing my teeth,spraying perfume and sucking on a few mints disguised the scent. It's such a relief to not have to constantly worry about hiding it now.. even though I probably was not doing a very good job in the first place.

When you're at that level people obviously know a lot more than they let on.. they just have to.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

August- I am about 9 years older than you. The 1977 was just a random number. Thanks for the welcome.

Noaddedsugar. OMG I literally shudder to think anyone knew. I won't even think about it. I remember going on road trips and ever gas stop or bathroom stop- to the bathroom for a drink. OMG I am seriously so glad to not have to do that anymore.

Another thing that I did not mention in my original post is that I work from home 90% of the time so that made it very easy to start drinking earlier and earlier. And my husband drives everywhere so the one thing I didn't have to do was drink and drive.

I have a work related event that my husband and I do together this weekend. It will be the first time I will have been there without alcohol. Before, during and after. I know I have many first times to get through so this is the first of many.
Thanks for all your well wishes.
Hope
Old 01-10-2019, 05:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, many good people, tons of help.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum HopefulYear!!
Old 01-11-2019, 07:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Almost at the end of day 9. For some reason today, I had more what I call 'moments' where I am doing something and my goes to the thought of I should be or would have been having a drink while doing this.
They were not horrible. I blew them off pretty fast. Happy to nearly 9 days sober!
Old 01-14-2019, 02:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day 12 for me.

Tomorrow is trash day. I finally cleaned out the kitchen cabinet that I store wine in-and empties. I tossed out 7 bottles ranging from half full to empty. I left an unopened bottle in there in case we have company or something. It has been there ever since I quit. It truly doesn't bother me - thankfully. The smell of pouring out the remainder of all those bottles did make me feel sick.

Under a cabinet in a weird container I had 8- count em 8 - 8 ounce bottles of flavored vodka that I have collected over time. On certain occasions, they would give them away with the purchase of a bottle. I never cared for them so didn't drink them- but I kept them for some stupid reason. I guess in case I ever ran completely out and couldn't drive to the store or it was a Sunday or whatever. I placed those all in a bag with some trash and those suckers will be gone tomorrow. I feel better knowing they are gone because they were hidden. I would be so embarrassed if my husband or one of my kids found them while on a visit. I've been lucky so far.

Very excited to make it to the two week point in two days!
Old 01-14-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time! Stay sober and it will get easier.