Filing vs Not Filing

Old 12-24-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Filing vs Not Filing

Opinions and personal experience wanted on going ahead and filing for divorce or seperating households? There are positives and negatives in both. Insurances,etc vs the liability of staying "married."
Old 12-24-2018, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know what protections a legal separation provides.

My parents were married when my father had a car accident that resulted in a fatality. After the criminal trial, (Dad was found guilty and sent to prison) There was a civil suit filed, and they lost about half of their accumulated savings. Dad was in his seventies, Mom in her sixties, to this was the money that was to provide for their retirement. You might want to ask a lawyer if a separation would protect your financial assets.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Going to recommend talking to a lawyer. I thought we needed to divorce b/c a separation wouldn't provide me w/protection from his bad financial decisions. Talked to a lawyer and found out I was wrong.

Turned out that talking to this lawyer enabled me to do a "pro se" divorce b/c X and I had no disagreements on who owned what, had no children and had no debt. Saved thousands on unneeded legal costs. HOWEVER--every state is different, so you would be very wise to talk to a legal expert and get the facts as they pertain to your specific situation before making a decision on how to proceed, IMHO.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In my state the only benefit to remaining married was the tax benefit and health insurance since his was better.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Coral…...the following website, which is educational, in nature, might help you to organize your thoughts/questions. before you talk to your lawyer.....

www.womansdivorce.com
Old 12-26-2018, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I appreciate the replies.
Dandylion, this looks to be a very comprehensive resource. Thank you so much!!
Old 12-26-2018, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My experience was less emotional connection after the divorce was final. We hadn't lived together in over 4 years either. Something about the legal marriage kept me emotionally engaged to a point.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michsm View Post
In my state the only benefit to remaining married was the tax benefit and health insurance since his was better.
After I was widowed, I dated a man who had remained married. His wife had a chronic illness, and his insurance was a Godsend. Something to consider.