Notices

30 Years Ago

Old 12-21-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

30 Years Ago

It struck me today when listening to news in the car that I can actually remember the first time I got drunk, I m not coming on here saying that’s something to celebrate but it did make me think of here and made me of a mind to pop in and say thanks.

The reason I remember the first time I got drunk is the Lockerbie bomb which is 30 years ago today as well. I was 16 and at a School Christmas party and I distinctly remember my dad picking me up, me pretending to be sober and the tragic news on Radio taking his attention and most likely saving me being in trouble.

Alcohol obviously wasn’t a problem for me in those days and wouldn’t be for a few more years yet. I was in my twenties before I was drinking heavily and then eventually I hit a period of my life where probably for around 10 years I would have a drink every day.

Got me thinking how quick time goes, that was 30 years ago, I probably enjoyed alcohol for around 10 years, spent around 10 years still drinking but not enjoying a lot of it and I ve now not touched alcohol for over 10 years.

I ve probably been lucky, no real health issues from my time drinking, my teeth could be better but that’s all I think.

Good wishes to everyone on here, this place really helped me when I first stopped drinking, I was on here every day for the first few months.

It’s a tough time of year for those of you starting your journey, keep at it, I know it’s tough to believe but it really does get easier.

I don t visit often but I do like to pop back now and then when I remember.

Once again a big thank you to everyone on these forums and a very Merry (sober) Christmas to you all.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hi Fizzy! I remember you.

Nice of you to stop by.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Man, that is uncanny. You're story is my story. How weird to read.
Only I was fourteen when I first drank. Puked, but knew I liked it.
I don't need to explain more because your drinking tells my story, too Only I drank for another ten miserable years.
And in three days I'll have ten years sober. Uncanny and deja vue all over again. Wow is all I can say.

I'm glad we're both sober.

Thanks for the reminder and happy holidays to you.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A safe and peaceful Xmas to you FW.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Merry Xmas Fizzy

D