Well; had another wellness done today.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well; had another wellness done today.

As you all know; my alcoholic x boyfriend has been on a four week bender. He’s isolated himself in his house surrounded by vodka bottles and space heaters. His phone has been off for three weeks. To keep a peace of mind; I had a wellness check done; when I called the cops already knew who I was inquiring about. They said “he doesn’t even answer the door anymore” he just yells from the couch to “go away”. So it’s good I guess his family is trying too. I wish I could let go. He’s not even in my life anymore and I still care for him. I don’t want him to be found dead days after it happens. Is it bad I keep ordering these checks once a week? He’s been so bad to me everyone keeps telling me to just give up all together. It’s so hard. I wanted to marry this man. I know he’s cold and hungry. He doesn’t brush his teeth or shower when he’s like this too. It’s so damn sad. I wish I could just take a pill and completely move on. 😔.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have no experience with this or advice for you. I just want to say I'm sorry. It must be a terrible feeling
Old 12-08-2018, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're a good person and it's okay to care. Just make sure you're taking good care of yourself. In time, you'll move on.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi lost, I admire your concern for him, and I really understand it. You mentioned his family may be checking as well? If you can confirm that, you might be able to 'hand over' responsibility for checking to them, either in your mind, or by talking to them.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ugh Lostinjersey. This is not a vigil anyone wants to be part of.

Have you asked the cops if they have seen situations like this? They might have some insights into the situation.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How does he obtain vodka? Just wondering. He must have access to money.
And, either he does leave the house to get it or gets it delivered, which would mean he has a phone. Maybe a prepaid one. Either way, he could get food in the same way he gets vodka if he chooses to.

Sorry lost, it's a very tragic situation. I hope he decides to seek help. I don't think it's bad you order the wellness checks at all. It may get through to him he's cared about.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am really sorry about this and I can totally relate to what you have been going through - as you might remember from my post my ex boyfriend was found dead a week after I broke up with him. And I have been on an emotional roller coaster since then.
I think what you should do is handing the responsibility over to someone who would still care about him. Is there anyone who is still in contact with him?
Old 12-09-2018, 03:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It is kind of you to have welfare checks performed.

The sad truth is, we can't make someone take care of themselves--even if they aren't alcoholics or addicts. I have a friend who sometimes gets in a funk and just won't shower or brush his teeth for days I can't provide him with the will to take better care of himself.

Moving on? Well, that I know a bit about For me, I just had to make the decision to do so, and then act on that decision. In the past, what that has looked like for me is distracting myself with phone calls to friends and asking about *their* lives instead of talking about mine. Looking for free activities to do in town in order to fill up my time. Scrubbing the daylights out of my house. Meeting new friends. Filling my life up with good!!

Please take good care of you, and don't be too hard on yourself. This stuff isn't easy!
Old 12-09-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sedasa View Post
I am really sorry about this and I can totally relate to what you have been going through - as you might remember from my post my ex boyfriend was found dead a week after I broke up with him. And I have been on an emotional roller coaster since then.
I think what you should do is handing the responsibility over to someone who would still care about him. Is there anyone who is still in contact with him?
I remember your post; and I’m so so sorry. It’s hard to understand we had to break up with them, he wasn’t even capable of having a relationship anymore. I feel for you and sadly I know he will end up dying also. He just doesn’t have any drive to live. Sadly his whole family has given up on him (5 rehabs now). I think his ex wife has been checking up on him too. It’s sad but he has sworn everyone off; like we’re the enemy now. It’s hard. He still looks like the man I fell in love with, but that man is long gone. I pray for you.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sedasa View Post
Originally Posted by 53500 View Post
How does he obtain vodka? Just wondering. He must have access to money.
And, either he does leave the house to get it or gets it delivered, which would mean he has a phone. Maybe a prepaid one. Either way, he could get food in the same way he gets vodka if he chooses to.

Sorry lost, it's a very tragic situation. I hope he decides to seek help. I don't think it's bad you order the wellness checks at all. It may get through to him he's cared about.
thank you for your reply. Sadly he does drive to the liquor store. The town he lives in has liquor stores literally on every corner. That’s his only contact Witt people also. Last time I talked (the five days he was sober) he had about 15k in the bank. But he lost his job so I have no idea how much is left. I hope he decides to get help. It’s like no matter what I’m hurt. I can’t just let go.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lostinjersey1 View Post
It’s like no matter what I’m hurt. I can’t just let go.
Lost, are you in AlAnon? The first three steps are about giving over control (or the desire for control or the illusion of control) to our Higher Power and coming to really know that a HP works in all of our lives. This helps us let go of the crushing responsibility we feel for our beloved A's. For me, this has been the only effective avenue for moving on. Rational thought and well meaning advice of others just does not stand a chance against the deep attachment I have felt for his well being. Getting involved in AlAnon and working the first three steps, especially, have moved me from debilitating attachment to letting go with love. I've been able to step away and no longer feel guilty for abandoning him, now that I'm assured that his life is in the care of another loving presence that is not me.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do. If he chooses to drink himself to death, that is his choice. That sounds so harsh, but it's so true. I wish we had the power to make someone choose life, to choose wellness, to stop the addiction. Only they can make that choice.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I say this all kindly because I know it's painful.

Remember that you did not cause this, you cannot control this, and you cannot cure it.

Huge hugs.