JFT November 16, 2018

Old 11-16-2018, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

JFT November 16, 2018

November 16, 2018
Alone no more
Page 334

"We gradually and carefully pull ourselves out of the isolation and loneliness of addiction and into the mainstream of life."

Basic Text, p. 37

Many of us spent much of our using time alone, avoiding other people-especially people who were not using-at all costs. After years of isolation, trying to find a place for ourselves in a bustling, sometimes boisterous fellowship is not always easy. We may still feel isolated, focusing on our differences rather than our similarities. The overwhelming feelings that often arise in early recovery-feelings of fear, anger, and mistrust-can also keep us isolated. We may feel like aliens but we must remember, the alienation is ours, not NA's.

In Narcotics Anonymous, we are offered a very special opportunity for friendship. We are brought together with people who understand us like no one else can. We are encouraged to share with these people our feelings, our problems, our triumphs, and our failures. Slowly, the recognition and identification we find in NA bridge the lonely gap of alienation in our hearts. As we've heard it said-the program works, if we let it.

Just for Today: The friendship of other members of the fellowship is a life-sustaining gift. I will reach out for the friendship that's offered in NA, and accept it.

Copyright (c) 2007-2018, NA World Services, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Old 11-16-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
♢Just For Today

While active I isolated to the point that my home was basically a tomb. In recovery I make the daily decision to go out and be amongst my peers - people who understand me and people who love me for who I am. I am so very grateful that I have this privilege. When I travel I can look up NA meetings and even in a strange town I never have to be alone. What a gift!
Old 11-17-2018, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Welcome to the thread, Sobreviviente.

I totally agree.

For me, it was a matter of life or death. I was committing a slow suicide. Part of me did not give a sh*t and the other part was hoping for a miracle.

I got to a point in my life that I couldn’t even leave my house. I would go to work, after work I would get my booze take my drugs and lock the door. In the end, there was only guilt.

I remember coming to sober recovery half loaded reading the threads tears coming down on my face wishing I had what they had.

Well eventually I got sick and tired of being sick and tired.

NA now is my second home. Through the years I have met the most wonderful people in the world in the rooms. Friendship and fellowship go hand-in-hand.

Whether it's the meetings in my state or in other states I always feel welcome. Today I have a foundation that I call the rooms of Narcotics Anonymous. Every morning I get up am grateful to all that have helped me through this path.

TB