Notices

Still suffering

Old 11-06-2018, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still suffering

Hi

I went to 2 AA meetings and it seemed to make my mental health worse. Have been on numerous benders and the last 3 months have been absolutely horrible.

I really cannot touch a single drop of alcohol ever again.

I really wish wish I could get past 14 days.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can get past 14 days. What is your plan to stay sober, what do you plan to do each day to stay sober and recover?
Old 11-06-2018, 11:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sadly I really don't know what to do. I suffer badly from sudden impulses to drink and everythime I end up in a horrible mess.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Be stronger than those impulses. You are stronger than those impulses.

the alternative is not good

For Some, AA does not help them. I hope you read hear a lot and figure out your path
Old 11-06-2018, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are on my list of people to reach out to for my May class. You can go on our thread class of May 2018 and see how we are doing and read some of our stories toO
Old 11-06-2018, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well you don't have to suffer anymore....at least not from alcohol abuse. But it takes a firm commitment to getting through the 'suck ' of early abstinence. If you keep relapsing after only 14 days you're just going back before it gets easier. You are teaching your brain that you can't be miserable without taking a drink. You actually can. Obviously that's not the goal, but I know I have to be able to sit with pain and discomfort. Its part of being a big girl I guess. That sounds kind of harsh, but its true.

If you are just responding to the impulse to drink, make a plan to try something different when the impulse hits. But you have to be willing. Are you?
Old 11-06-2018, 01:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Highercall View Post
Sadly I really don't know what to do. I suffer badly from sudden impulses to drink and everythime I end up in a horrible mess.
Impulses are just thoughts. Yes they may seem strong, but you have to make the decision as to how you will react. And you have a choice each and every time you get an "impulse".

I'd personally suggest you seek professional help via therapy or perhaps even inpatient rehab ( or both ). You seem to have a very difficult time doing this on your own, so drastic measures might be necessary, no?
Old 11-06-2018, 01:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pause and do something else--plan it out--for 10-20 minutes every time impulse hits.

Walk or run, push ups, hot shower, ice cream, recovery podcast, etc.

This really works.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Highercall View Post
Hi

I went to 2 AA meetings and it seemed to make my mental health worse. Have been on numerous benders and the last 3 months have been absolutely horrible.

I really cannot touch a single drop of alcohol ever again.

I really wish wish I could get past 14 days.
Some AA meetings can be shame inducing.
Reasons for compulsive substance abuse are driven by emotional factors, usually feelings of helplessness about whatever in life makes one feel overwhelmingly trapped, powerless and out of control. It’s the rage at helplessness that drives the addictive behavior.
Can you identify circumstances in your life that drive your feelings? If you can identify the emotional circumstances then you have a better chance of empowering yourself/replacing your quick fix or mood changer of drinking with some other more healthy behavior, that you value! You can do it. Put on your thinking cap! Find your, "Higher Call."
Old 11-07-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some AA meetings can be shame inducing.

I'm sure there are good and bad meetings - humans make up meetings,

Maybe though we're preconditioned to shame as addicts?

I know I had pretty thin skin at the start of this journey, and I thought I was the centre of negative attention every time I entered a room.

D