Notices

Thank you day ones

Old 11-02-2018, 01:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank you day ones

The most useful thing for me 15 weeks in AF is to read the continuous stream of day one posts on SR. They confirm to me that drinking is not good idea and consolidate my AF habit.

Apart from my visits to SR I am not focused on alcohol and don't really think about it.

I firmly believe that drinking to much is a symptom of emotional turmoil. So stopping is only the start point and you need to fix yourself emotionally.

If you stop drinking you have a chance for better life by being able to deal with your life.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Ger,

The cleaner I have become, the less emotional turmoil I have.

Drinking caused 90% of my mental anguish.

Getting clean w out any meds made me realize that.

These days I don't really get that emotional anymore and if I do, it is more called for.

I have way less road rage, even though I still act out aggressively at times, I am less emotional about it.

Basically, I am what I imagine normal to be.

When I was a drunk, I was abnormal.

I was often times enraged. Since quitting, I can't remember the last time I was enraged.

Also, I still get physically sick a bit, but when I was a drunk, I would get deathly ill.

That alone is reason to never drink the poison again.

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post.

As the initial urgency of my own situation has inevitably washed away I look for ways to keep myself reminded of what the whole thing is about. I can not afford to forget.

Staying around here and staying at least somewhat active in other people's experiences does more for me than anything I can offer to another.

I really enjoy your insightful posts.

-B
Old 11-02-2018, 06:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, agreed wholeheartedly. Every time I think I want to drink I not only remember my own (multiple) day ones, but I come here to read others’ experiences and reflect. I usually end up deciding drinking isn’t that cool after all. (I knew it all along of course).

this place has been amazing. Thanks to everyone who is brave enough to share their struggles and accomplishments.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gerard52 View Post

I firmly believe that drinking to much is a symptom of emotional turmoil. So stopping is only the start point and you need to fix yourself emotionally.
Drinking is what caused emotional turmoil for me. I drank because I enjoyed drinking, not to fix any issues I have. I only got emotionally unstable after too much alcohol. Now I am rarely bothered by things that would have emotionally crippled me under the influence.

I agree that SR and the day one posts have helped me keep on track. At nearly 100 days sober I have only used SR and no other methods to stay sober. I am constantly reminded by other people that moderation simply doesn't work.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am on day 14, still very early. This is my first attempt at quiting, after many failed attempts at controlling it. I really need this to stick.

When I read posts about individuals who are starting over at day 1 it makes me sad and nervous. However, when I read posts about those who are sober and happy for a long period of time I feel hopeful.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rd2quit View Post
I am on day 14, still very early. This is my first attempt at quiting, after many failed attempts at controlling it. I really need this to stick.

When I read posts about individuals who are starting over at day 1 it makes me sad and nervous. However, when I read posts about those who are sober and happy for a long period of time I feel hopeful.
Congratulations on two weeks!! That is awesome!!!!
Old 11-02-2018, 08:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you, 14 days feels good and I know I can make it to day 15.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used to think that drinking was my problem, it wasn't the drinking it was ME! Surprise! HA
Not to say now that I am comfortable with me I am going to go and drink as I would most likely go right back to how I was drinking because that first drink I would feel so ashamed, disappointed, regret, unsatisfaction, etc.. and that is where that nasty cycle would start. -The emotional turmoil.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One of the main reasons I read this site every day is for the day 1 posts. Its a steady reminder.